Home Forum Ask A Member johnson 1929 model K45 7.15hp

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Motor has a compression relief lever – I know it how it works.

it also has a relief lever for the exhaust – do I start motor with this closed or open and then run it open?

Anonymous

Start motor with exhaust relief level in the open position.

jerry-ahrens
        Participant

US Member

The exuast relief should be open when starting the motor, and while running at low (idle) speeds. For higher speeds, I would close it, mainly to cut down on noise. Is this what you have?
          Edit: Actually, if you look at the K45’s big brother, the V45, the relief valve is controlled automatically via the magneto retard/advance lever. On my V-45, anything above 1/2 throttle closes the exaust relief valve.

Attachments:

george-emmanuel
          Participant

US Member

Jerry, if that’s your engine, that is a very, very nice restoration. It looks authentic!

George

jerry-ahrens
            Participant

US Member

Thanks, George, I bought that motor from Rob Emert, just before he passed away. He told me that it used to belong to Riggs Smith, and that he bought it from his son, If memory serves. I have seen his name in the older Outboarder magazines.
              Anyway, didn’t mean to hi-jack this thread, just posted the picture for reference. This motor has the original decal still on the gas tank. I can post a pic of it, if anyone is interested.

bob-d
              Participant

US Member

Hi Jerry, please post the gas tank picture. I believe it should say Johnson 10?
                I bought one from Doug Penn a few years ago and was wondering if it was correct. If you could also take a shot of the exhaust cutoutlever on the steering yoke. Mine is mounted on the other side?
                Thanks,
                Bob D

jerry-ahrens
                Participant

US Member

Bob, no problem. I’ll post those in the morning. I don’t remember what the decal say’s, but that may be right.

jerry-ahrens
                  Participant

US Member

Here are the decal pics…

Attachments:

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.