Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson 1965 9.5 horse running issues help

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    gonecat
    Participant

Hi . I was running my 9.5 out on a weedy lake. I hit a thick patch of weeds and the motor bogged a bit. AFTER I got through the weed bed, cleaned weeds etc, the motor is still running poorly, as if it’s misfiring or only firing on one cylinder. Keep in mind, I just rebuilt the carb last year, new jets, etc. clean gas. Points, wires, coils, plugs are all new. There’s plenty of spark and gas (it seems). Motor starts and runs correctly a few seconds with choke engaged. If I push choke lever back in, motor dies almost immediately. This sounds like a clogged jet, but I opened the carb and everything looks clean and appears to be operating correctly. What am I missing or overlooking? Keep in mind, also, I did not adjust any settings after hitting the weed bed. Plugs looked fine and great spark, even though the motor won’t run correctly. Definitely sound crab related, but that doesn’t make sense with a recent carb rebuild. Thanks for any insights or help, this motor has been trusty for 20 plus years for me. Oh, and water pump is strongly pumping water just fine.

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

well it looks like fuel starvation…. reclean & readjust the carb and clean the fuel tank if your fuel pump inlet screen filter is clogged up.

check all fuel delivery points… hose, connector, fuel pick-up air vent etc…

if you have good sparks and water cooling it wants fuel

btw try to run it with the cowl off….

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Did the engine overheat when it got stuck in the weeds? If so, the head gasket might be leaking….Check compression, check for water on the plugs, and retorque the head…
          The symptoms you provided sure sound like a fuel starvation problem though…

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

Heat may have damaged the fuel pump diaphragm as well as the head gasket.. Be sure and check the prop shaft seal. They can be damaged by things wrapping aloud the prop shaft. You don’t want water getting into the gear case. . . 😕

rapier
            Participant

If it’s running ‘poorly’ I’d run through the carb again. Did you do the core plugs?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.