Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson 3HP JW-17 Compression woes

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    billw
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I sounds to me like the engine has to come apart and the rings totally freed up, grooves cleaned out. (By the way, what do the cylinder walls look like?) This engine has been waiting 57 years for somebody like you to come along and show it some real love. Right now, it is just getting Christen Science. C’mon. Make it proud! 😆

Long live American manufacturing!

jerry-w-bert
      Participant

To fleetwin: Thank you. Well It started in the bbl and seemed ok, didn’t put it in the boat . Then I noticed the gas leak coming out the hole and so I tried a few things , ,But it kept leaking so I re did the water pump seal , new impeller, and the O ring at the power head drive shaft. It stopped leaking and then I checked compression found it 65/60 changed head gasket , would not start , had to leave for a year ,cancer and etc. It sat in my shop dry for a year no gas . Did a compression test last month and found 55/45 . Without good compression I can’t get it started …right? Minimum I was told is 60 but should be 80.

To:Bill W, Thanks for responding. The cyl . walls were shiny and clean ,no rust or scoring visible . Yes I really do want to change the rings , What else should I change out while I have it apart ?. This is My first 2 stroke and marine engine to work on . I’m an old man who thinks he is never to old to learn ..I do love this little engine like I love Model As .Old stuff is the best . Can you direct me to an affordable or free online manual that will help me tear it down and do it right?

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

I don’t believe they had individualmodel Service manuals in 1960. At that time a large one size fits all from Evinrude, Johnson, Seloc and others. E inured and Johnson started publishing individual service manuals a few years later and these are available through the Ken Cook Company –
          http://WWW.Kencook.cominfo@Kencook.com

I have seen the "one side fits all" red Johnson manual on a free download site – but I seem to have lost the address. . . 😕

outbdnut2
          Participant

US Member

Here’a an online manual that may help:
            Dave

http://162.144.28.33/lib/johnson/manuals/1922-1964johnson.html#/0

jerry-w-bert
            Participant

Than you Gary in Tampa and Dave

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.