Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson a-25 carb gaskets and ign wires

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    wanderlustjake
    Participant

Hi All,
      My son is getting farther (read pulling apart faster) than I expected on the tear down of our 1925 Johnson A-25. I have a couple quick questions.
      What type and thickness gasket material should we use on the carb and intake? Everything on it is trashed and has been replaced at some point.
      Next question, spark plug wires, I read copper core, but what size? Any recommendations for a source for the wires and hardware?
      I want to get the parts lined up so he doesn’t lose interest ( I was surprised that he tore into it).

Thank you,
      Jason

stanley
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The gasket question I can’t give an accurate answer on plug wires there was a lengthy thread yesterday.Scroll to bottom of this page click on 2 and about halfway down you’ll find it.It will answer all your ?s and then some

george-emmanuel
        Participant

US Member

There is no gasket on the intake of the barrel style carbs. Simply push the carb onto the nozzle of the crankcase firmly and tighten the clamp.

legendre
          Participant

Most all old engines of this type use a 7mm copper-core plug wire. My local O’Reilly has it for $0.69 / per ft. – if you have one in your area, it’s probably a similar situation.

Either way, you want a copper wire core (as opposed to the fiber / carbon stuff used in modern automotive ignitions) with a plain, as in non-resistor type plug cap.

In fact, most motors from this era didn’t even have a plug "cap", just a brass terminal screwed into the end of the wire, which then attached to the plug by the old-school type screw-on plug terminal. Either way, don’t use a resistor WIRE, CAP or PLUG and you’ll be OK! 😉

bob-d
            Participant

US Member

Jason, I use a company called R.J.&L. AUTOMOTIVE FASTENERS for the black cloth 9mm plug wire, that is period correct for the old Johnsons and Evinrudes, their model number is W-107. For the plug ends they have a brass forked terminal (P113) that looks great with the old plugs. Go online and Google them.
              As far as carb and intake gaskets, measure the thickness with a micrometer (if available) or just bring the old gasket down to an Autozone etc… and try to match up the thickness. For the exhaust gaskets, you will need a thicker type gasket. For that one, I would try Summit Racing Equipment which has a large assortment of sheet gasket materials from Mr. Gasket and Fel-Pro.
              Good luck, and let us know how your father and son project turns out.
              Bob D

bob-d
              Participant

US Member

Jason…..sorry, just reads George E’s answer regarding no gasket for the barrel style carb, don’t want to send you on a wild goose chase looking for gasket material for a non-existent gasket. Just use the info that I gave as a rule of thumb for obtaining gasket material for old NLA gaskets.
                Bob D

phil
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You should be able to get Victor Reinz brand JV 127 at your local auto parts place, it will work for your exhaust gasket, also useable as a head gasket for motors that did not come with the metal edges around the piston bores, and many other gaskets. Comes in 1/32" and 1/16". Between it, JV 121, and brown paper bags you should be covered for gaskets you need to cut yourself.
                  The JV 121 is a urethane? rubber material useful where old cork gaskets were used. Great stuff for the OMC pressure tanks tops, if you can’t wait for the regular cut gaskets that are available.

http://www.omc-boats.org
                  http://www.aerocraft-boats.org

chris-p
                  Participant

I buy my cloth covered wire, and terminal ends here.

http://www.magnetoparts.com

wanderlustjake
                    Participant

Thank you everyone for the help. I’ll measure the gaskets and get the wires now that I know what to get. I’ll keep you posted on progress.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.