Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson Carb Issue

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    davidk
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

My 1955 Johnson RD17…..I was having some carb issues and when I wound out the low speed needle, the bushing came out with it. I tried reseating it with some Loctite but that didn’t hold. What’s a fella to do?

IMG_5438

IMG_5439

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, first make sure the threads are OK but threading the sleeve on and off the needle while out of the carb…you may need to grease up the threads a bit…
        Install the needle valve into the carb body with it partially threaded into the threaded insert (not too far, you don’t want to jam the tip of the needle into the mixing pocket). Install the packing and packing nut, tightening it down enough to hold the threaded insert in place while threading the needle valve into the carb…
        Wish I knew why the heck they came up with this crazy design…I suppose this design makes it easy to repair if the threads get buggered up…

davidk
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for your guidance, Fleetwin. That is a very clear description. Seemed to me that the bushing was spinning so the needle wouldn’t thread in. You’re saying that the packing helps it grab and not spin? I did have to clean the threads of the needle and the bushing. It was quite gummed up and stuck. I’ll give it another go tomorrow. Thanks, again.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes David, it is only the pressure of the packing/packing nut that keeps that threaded insert from spinning inside…A strange design for sure….Those threads have to be clean so that the needle spins easily as well…

davidk
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Fleetwin, it worked just as you said. I don’t know how I got flummoxed on that one. Must have been the heat. Great to be able to come here and get some direction from people who are knowledgeable and eager to help.

1 user thanked author for this post.
              opposedtwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Davidk! Thanks for saying so!! And I agree with you 100%! This club is awesome!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.