Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson/Evenrude Question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ryanjames170
    Participant

I know that A johnson is the same as a evenrude motor but what other motors did they make that would acept the same parts IE water pump, fuel system spark props lowers ect.. i am asking as i am getting more into johnson evenrude.

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

Gale Products of Galesburg Illinois was the third Division of OMC (Outboard Marine Corporation, makers of Evinrude and Johnson) They made Mail order outboards from 1945 through 1963. They made Sea Kings for Montgomery Wards, Sea Bees for Goodyear Tire & Rubber, Brooklure for Spiegel catalog sales, Royal for Atlas Tires, Western Flyer for Western Auto, Sea Flyer for B F Goodrich. Hiawatha for Gambels & Skogmo, Saber for Fedway Department Stores & AMC, Eltos for Evinrude, and there own private brand Buccaneer. . . 😀

jeff-register
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

/Garry,
          I remember seeing Gales out here in Az But to hear Fed Mart…….That has been a long time. Can P.O. Johnson’s break your fingers? Pulling it over?
          Full Advance!

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

AT FULL ADVANCE – are you crazy? If you don’t have enough muscle behind the rope you have three choices. 1, breaks the rope, 2 Get thrown over the back of the boat, 3 break some fingers. . . 😯

ryanjames170
            Participant

Nice looking motors gary! I was looking at a Hiawatha the other day but was not sure about parts.. this outboard thing is about as adicting as chewing..

ryanjames170
              Participant

Nice looking motors gary! I was looking at a Hiawatha the other day but was not sure about parts.. this outboard thing is about as adicting as chewing..

Anonymous

Wouldn’t it be cool to see a collection of one of each? I’m sure there’s someone out there that is working on that.
                  Kirk

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

Not ALL of the motors listed by Garry were made by Gale for all years. For example, Chrysler and Clinton made some Sea Kings.

ryanjames170
                    Participant

I think the Hayward fishing hall of fame has alot of those nentioned how ever I don’t know how many areasons still on display as I think some were on lone

phil-b
                      Participant

At least one more badge for the Gale motors was Viking in Canada.
                        And I think in Canada the "house brand" was Elto (instead of Buccaneer).
                        There was one year (1949) where Elto badged Gale 5s & 12s were sold in the US

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.