Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson Flywheel with a stripped puller hole

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    nj-boatbuilder57
    Participant

There’s always the other option of using a wide-stance puller that can clamp the outside of the flywheel.

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member
        quote fleetwin:

I’m confused, can’t you just remove the starter pawl ring and inspection plate cover, then drill the flywheel??

The starter pawl ring / ratchet has been off. Just think it was mentioned drilling it
        if I went with 5/16" bolts.

I inserted a 1/4" heli-coil this morning. The puller is on and fairly tight.
        Flywheel has not "popped" yet. Tried prying up on the flywheel
        and rapping on the puller bolt some, but very awkward.
        Will let it sit with tension on the puller for a while.
        Did that years ago with a lawnmower, and found
        the flywheel had popped off the crankshaft overnight.

Prepare to be boarded!

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yeah, these flywheels can be real buggers indeed. I have had some luck using a 1/2" impact gun on the puller bolt. Please wear goggles and gloves though. Are you using the OMC puller and bolts? I would not use any other rigs to avoid damage and injury.

Buccaneer
          Participant

US Member
            quote fleetwin:

Yeah, these flywheels can be real buggers indeed. I have had some luck using a 1/2″ impact gun on the puller bolt. Please wear goggles and gloves though. Are you using the OMC puller and bolts? I would not use any other rigs to avoid damage and injury.

I have a decent harmonic balancer puller that I’ve had for 20 plus years,
            that’s never failed me yet. Just wish OMC put beefier puller holes in
            their bigger flywheels. I’ve been tightening the puller bolt a little more
            several times today. Will see what happens in the morning.
            Have you ever used a little heat on these flywheels?
            Hate to smoke my pretty blue coils though. 😯

Prepare to be boarded!

chris-p
            Participant

I have never had to apply heat, and I have popped many bazillion flywheels! I do use the OEM puller though, best thing I ever bought. A few real tough ones I had to add an extension pipe onto the wrench on the center bolt to get a little torque on it!

chris-p
              Participant
                quote NJ-boatbuilder57:

There’s always the other option of using a wide-stance puller that can clamp the outside of the flywheel.

Im assuming you are kidding, but for those that are not aware, NEVER do this!

Buccaneer
                Participant

US Member

Just looked at some OMC flywheel pullers online like this one.
                  Definitely "beefier" than what I’m using. 🙁

Attachments:

Prepare to be boarded!

jerry-ahrens
                  Participant

US Member

You can pick the OMC pullers up on Ebay, not to bad in price either. I wouldn’t be without one. The problem with the harmonic balancer puller is that it flexes to much. What makes the OMC puller work so well is the special bolts and thick washers.

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yep, the OMC puller is a must for sure. The OMC puller comes with a bar that fits into the disk so you can hold the flywheel/puller in place while tightening the center screw….

nj-boatbuilder57
                      Participant
                        quote Chris_P:

quote NJ-boatbuilder57:

Im assuming you are kidding, but for those that are not aware, NEVER do this!

OK…I’ll ask: why not? I wasn’t kidding…..but the post above about "flexing" makes sense.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 32 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.