Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson fuel filters advice requested…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    huntleybill
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Working on a Wizard WG7 and the filter in the tank ( see attached picture) looks to be clogged. I also have a Johnson 10HP and 5.5 HP that have these same type of filters. My questions is, can these filters be cleaned? If not, are these filters available? If they are not available, can the material be bought and filters made? or are there alternatives that can be used in place of these filters?

Thank you
      Bill

Attachments:

chris-p
      Participant

The filters for your Johnsons can be bought new.

Not sure about the Wizard? I will let someone else chime in on that. If not, you could make one out of screening and epoxy/solder it in?

BTW, not sure why guys drill holes in them when they are clogged then re install them? Whats the point of that? If they are clogged to the point of being unusable, toss them out! Drilling holes in it completely negates its intended task. You may as well just not install it at that point. If you remove them as you cannot locate one, just install a simple cheap consumable inline filter that you can then change annually.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

I believe that Wizard was a common Merc filter of the day. But I don’t know the availability today.

EDIT: Merc 1399-1136, replaced by 1399-3938 (Sierra 18-7832 (????)

huntleybill
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

They drill holes because they are too cheep or in too much of a hurry to replace it. I’d like to replace it with something that is OEM or something that will work as it was intended. Your right, the holes make the filter useless. A screen won’t work for the Wizard as that filter is held on by a stud and nut.

Also, someone told me that putting a "modern" filter inline will ruin the motor because it doesn’t let the oil pass through causing the motor to not get good lubrication. Is that true?

frankr
            Participant

US Member

Is that old wive’s tale still around? If it did strain the oil out, it would soon be plugged up by oil and it wouldn’t run at all.

chris-p
              Participant

That’s the craziest thing I’ve ever heard! As Frank stated, where does the oil magically go!?

There are a LOT of motors out there with inline filters about ready to detonate I guess!

huntleybill
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It was explained to me that the filter filters the oil and lets the gas go through hence no lubrication. Of course eventually the filter clogs blocking both oil and fuel but until that happens, the motor is running solely on gas and burns it up.

Sounds logical don’t it?
                  OK…I’ll tell my friend to get back on his medication!!

melugin
                  Participant

US Member

I’ve usually had luck with using them again after a good fire. Burn off the gummed up fuel residue(off the motor), clean with a toothbrush and blow it out with air. These are sintered metal and not too bothered by modest heat.

cajuncook1
                    Participant

The sintered filter can be cleaned using half pinesol and half hot water. Let it soak a couple of hours and blow out with compressed air. Repeat as necessary. You will surprised at the amount of junk comes out.

Do not use carburetor cleaner are you will end up with a pile of sand. The adheasive used to hold the poreous stone together will dissolve with the carbureter cleaner.

garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

I have had moderate luck dipping them in carburetor cleaner and blowing them out with high pressure air. If you leave them in the cleaner too long, you end up with a tea spoon of bronze. sand. However many of the products used back in the 1950s are no longer available because of causing cancer in laboratory rats. My thought is any lab rats messing around in MY shop deserve cancer . . . 🙄

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.