Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson HD 25 recoil spring

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    farmboy71
    Participant

I found this recoil spring that says it fits 3-35 hp motors part number is 18-6501. Will this fit a 1947 HD 25?

frankr
      Participant

US Member

It should if your present spring has the round loops on both ends. It was used for many years. But there was one off-breed one used for a few years that had a funky outer end. I think that came later, like early 1950’s

aquasonic
        Participant

US Member

A couple of years ago, I broke the recoil spring on my 1947 HD-25. I had a couple of the Sierra 18-6501 recoil springs on hand and I thought I’d give one a try.

I couldn’t get that spring to fit because there is just too much spring for the housing. It is a good replacement for my 1950’s OMC motors though.

farmboy71
          Participant

Thanks, I think I have the right one coming from Engine Blade and Prop. I saw the 18-6501 on Ebay for about $9 with shipping included and thought if it would work would be a good way to go.

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

The Johnson number for that 18-6501 Sierra Spring is 41-197. It doesn’t fit the HD model.

. . . . . 😀

aquasonic
              Participant

US Member

Here’s the part that I find confusing. When you look up the recoil spring for a TD-20 or an HD-25, the parts manuals call for the part no. 41-197, just like the 1950’s 5.5 HP motors, and many others from the 1950’s and later.

From my experience, the Sierra 18-6501 does not fit for an HD-25, but works just fine in the CD series, even though they call for the same original part no.

It seems as though OMC may have changed the spring, but kept the part no. over the years? Or, are the replacement springs longer than the original?

farmboy71
                Participant

I received my new spring from Engine Blade and Prop. It was the Sierra 18-6501. Even though everyone said it won’t fit I got it in and it seems to work. It is tighter than the old one but seems to be working so far.

Mumbles
                  Participant

It seems the 41-197 (OMC P/N 395640) is a pretty common spring and is used in lots of motors.

Here’s a blast from the past.

aquasonic
                    Participant

US Member

farmboy,
                      Although the 18-6501 spring didn’t work out for me on my HD-25, I’m glad that it is working out for you. I have had better luck with these more expensive springs that I buy from Ahlstrand Marine which they claim to be new old stock.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Johnson-5HP-194 … 0b&vxp=mtr

The key to a long life for these things is plenty of grease, and a new pull cord with a couple of extra turns of length on it so you never pull it out to the end.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.