Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson Vacturi Carburetor 1930’s? – Display? Or Salesman ‘s Sample?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    adklisa
    Participant

Does anyone know what the story is with this?

Attachments:

adam1961
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I believe that this carb is from a WW2 era water pump produced by Johnson. That is why it has the right angle intake manifold.

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

Yes – it is the carburetor for the Johnson P500 high pressure pump. Since the powerhead is mounted horizontally, the carburetor is on top with the 90 degree adaptor, as seen in this (poor Quality) picture. . . 😎

joecb
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I remember those P500 pumps from my Navy days in the early 70’s. Heavy as hell… they were used as "portable" fire fighting pumps.
            I hope that someone has one to bring to Constantine for display in our Military Themed display
            .. Or better yet pump some St Joe river water thru a fire hose nozzle.
            Joe B

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

The " pumper" had shorter connecting rods (wrist pin hole in the piston in a slightly lower position) than the Storm boat motor in order to withstand bursts of high RPM from air being sucked in from low water. They were also used to supplement the ships bilge pumps. Pumps from three ships were used to keep an aircraft carrier heavily damaged in the battle of the Coral Sea afloat to sail back to Pearl Harbor for repairs. The 15 pumps running continuously for a week are credited with saving the ship.

The reason you don’t see many pumps is that many were bought Army/Navy surplus to be converted to racing outboards. . . 😎

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.