Home Forum Ask A Member K-35 Decal question – what is it?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    twostroke
    Participant

I bought a K-35 Saturday that appears to be original and unmolested except for the decal…..and it looks as old as the motor. Tank looks to be right (I’ve go two more to compare it to), but decal says "Johnson 10". Any ideas? Can’t find a thing on a decal like it. Wondering who did what…..when.

Thanks!

Jim

Attachments:

I say "pardon me" a lot. I had a 20H, then raced open mod sleds.

dan-in-tn
      Participant

US Member

I have a 1929 K-45 that is 7.15hp, but has this type decal on it. Looks just like this decal & says Sea Horse 10 on it. When I got the motor I wondered about it. The motor appears to be original and in excellent shape. I was told it was before horse power ratings came out & things were done that way then.

Dan in TN

Mumbles
        Participant

Starting in ’29 along with the Sea Horse name, the Johnson bros started adding model numbers to some of their motors. The model numbers don’t represent the actual horsepower of the motor as they are usually slightly higher than the motors advertised horsepower. It could have been done to help boost sales as this was the start of the great depression era and new outboards weren’t a priority on everyone’s shopping list.

The only Sea Horse models which truly match the horsepower are the 3 horse A-45, or Sea Horse 3, and the 4 horse A-50 Sea Horse 4. The 4.1 and 4.5 horse A-65, 70, and 75 motors were also known as Sea horse 4’s. Another motor they branded honestly while holding a straight face was the 50 horse XR-55, or Sea Horse 50.

Some other motors with misleading model numbers are:

8 to 9.8 horse K-KD series which were Sea Horse 12’s.
          13 to 13.3 horse S-45 thru 70 motors also known as Sea Horse 16’s.
          The 20 to 22 horse P and PO motors or Sea Horse 24’s.
          The 26.1 horse V-70 or Sea Horse 32.

I don’t think all of these motors had the model number on the tank decal as there’s supposed to be variations of the original decals used in each year. There’s probably more models than shown but you get the idea.

49hiawatha
          Participant

Truth in advertising ? Not the first nor the last. Thank you Mumbles.

bob-d
            Participant

US Member

Dan, don’t know how true it is, but I read somewhere that during the depression the factory use whatever decals they had laying around to save money.
              Bob D

The Boat House
              Participant
                george-emmanuel
                Participant

US Member

In 1928 the decals were based on the racing version’s horsepower as was the ’29 models.

George

twostroke
                  Participant

I’m kinda’ wondering if a dealer way-back-when "updated" this motor with a newer decal to make it a few years newer…..because after looking it over REALLY closely, it sure looks like it’s been on there for the duration.

Thanks for all the input, everyone1

Jim

I say "pardon me" a lot. I had a 20H, then raced open mod sleds.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.