Home Forum Ask A Member KF 5 lower crankshaft seal

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    larrym
    Participant

US Member

Today I made a slide hammer to remove the small tube. The small tube has 3 holes in it and about 11/2 inside Dia. I cut a piece of round stock about 1 1/2 in Dia. 2 inches long. I drilled 2 sets of holes the same center to center as the tube had. Welded a nut on the round stock to screw my slide hammer on put the round stock in the tube inserted my pins thru the hole and I was ready to try it out. I didn’t take out the pins that pin the large tube to the small tube I think they are both pressed on. Heated it up and tried to move both of them together but didn’t have any luck. Removed the pins holding the two tubes together and tried again using a propane torch for heat still no luck. I let it cool and try again using my acetylene torch for a quick heat and it came out. Now I can get to the water cover that goes around the crank and look at the big tube better. I now can see why the seal will not come out the bottom, there is a lip that keeps it from coming out the bottom but I think the large tube is what needs to come out. It is what has the lip as far as I can tell. Has anybody took the big tube off of the block?

jeff-register
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Sir,
        Best replace the needle bearing as well, One of Carl’s early design. I never pulled the tube, 24" extention & some fiber light, no problem Exacting clearances on inner needle recess on the block 2 get end play correct. I enjoyed the engineering. Joe Poole has a late top crank seal, can tell it’s white,
        & Merc never put one in. The piston ring pins are in alighment which should be 180 out

larrym
        Participant

US Member

After looking at the big tube I don’t think it would help me to remove it to get the seal out. I ran this motor and it ran ok but I though I would put in new seals while I had it broke down to clean and paint. After looking at the bottom seal it didn’t look bad and was still not hard. So I am going back together. I didn’t want to break the motor down which I have been told you need to do and I believe they are right. I’m going on the saying "if it ain’t broke don’t fix it". Thanks everybody for there comments.
          Larry Mac

jeff-register
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Larry,
            Suprise!! Go for it, Old seals lose chunks. See how it idles + check plugs, story telling,
            Still have my KF3, 5 & 7 & they all run 💡

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.