Home Forum Ask A Member Koban Battery Ignition Commutator

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    sputnik16335
    Participant

Hi all-

I’m not sure I was successful posting this a day or two ago. Apologies if this is a duplicate.

I also posted this on another forum but I thought I’d try it here also.

I’m trying to ready my 1915 battery-ignition Koban for a test run. I still haven’t found a correct flywheel, but I did find a very close substitute at a local steam-and-gas engine show. It’s an iron open flywheel 13 inches in diameter, and has a hub big enough to machine it to fit the Koban crankshaft. I think it will do until I can find a correct one, or a reproduction.

The problem is that I will still need to produce a commutator ring to fit to the flywheel. I think it should be similar to one I made for an upright Maytag, but I still need to know how it is attached to the flywheel.

Any advice, pictures, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
      Rich Roberts

76-j
      Participant

Something " Period Correct" would be a pair of Buzz coils ( Model T Ford / or "other" )…could be made to work. I wrote "pair", based on a wild guess that your KOBAN is a 2 cylinder that are opposed ! Gas Engine guys Rock ! Good Luck ! !

Attachments:

76-j
        Participant
          quote 76-J:

Something ” Period Correct” would be a pair of Buzz coils ( Model T Ford / or “other” )…could be made to work. I wrote “pair”, based on a wild guess that your KOBAN is a 2 cylinder that are opposed ! Gas Engine guys Rock ! Good Luck ! !

OR, once your commutator has been fabbed… acquire a coil from a battery ignition ELTO ie ruddertwin , etc

The Boat House
          Participant
            sputnik16335
            Participant

Thanks for the responses. I’ve sent out a note to Jack.

I have a buzz coil. Not a ‘T’ coil, but it easily fires the plug. I plan on making an oak box to contain it and a battery. Wiring’s all ready to go.

This has been a 5 year project. Most of the time spent scrounging parts. Absolutely not because I have ‘way too many projects and a short attention span (ooh look, something shiny)…

-RR

Tom
              Participant

US Member

You’ll need a coil with two high tension leads, or two more typical buzz coils. Since the ground on a typical buzz coil is also one of the point leads, you can’t use one of those to fire two plugs.

Tom

sputnik16335
                Participant

I guess I was thinking four stroke. I was thinking a single coil would do it. I have a ’60s Triumph where both plugs fire at the same time. One is firing into the exhausting cylinder, so it does nothing. That wouldn’t be the case with two stroke two cylinder motors. I have a couple of Model T coils. Have to rethink the wiring…

The Boat House
                  Participant

.Does your Triumph coil have a plug wire for both cylinders.
                    That is what the old Harleys had.
                    Can you fire 2 plugs with the buzz coil you have?
                    That is what Tom is trying to make to make you aware of.

garry-in-michigan
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

You can make your own with a 6 volt double pole double throw relay and a Light Four/Zephyr coil. It may need a small capacitor to protect the contacts. . . 😉

kees
                      Participant

International Member - 2 Years
                        quote sputnik16335:

Hi all-

I’m not sure I was successful posting this a day or two ago. Apologies if this is a duplicate.

I also posted this on another forum but I thought I’d try it here also.

I’m trying to ready my 1915 battery-ignition Koban for a test run. I still haven’t found a correct flywheel, but I did find a very close substitute at a local steam-and-gas engine show. It’s an iron open flywheel 13 inches in diameter, and has a hub big enough to machine it to fit the Koban crankshaft. I think it will do until I can find a correct one, or a reproduction.

The problem is that I will still need to produce a commutator ring to fit to the flywheel. I think it should be similar to one I made for an upright Maytag, but I still need to know how it is attached to the flywheel.

Any advice, pictures, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
                        Rich Roberts

If you don’t have an original flywheel then…….
                        this is what you need on your substitute 😮

AT LEAST, THIS MUST BE THE ANSWER ON YOUR QUESTION,
                        I HOPE / THINK

btw. you need the original timer lever as well of course,
                        or you have to adapt a similar one from another rowboat motor
                        see attached picture

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.