Home Forum Ask A Member Lark IV Cooling

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    putback
    Participant

Was considering a sending unit tee’d in the choke water line but wonder about the accuracy. Never knew about the pressed agianst the head unit, thanks I’ll give that a try. looks like that could also be used as a Tee in ? Didn’t know about the pistol grip thermometer either. I’ll order both now. I used the melt sticks way back on 2 cyc free air snowmobile drag engins, had forgot about them. I’ve got some cautching up to do. Running w/o the Tstat was next just to see. What I’m really worried about is a crack between the combustion chamber and the water jacket. Warms up, expands, leaks compression into the cooling and interfears with circulation.Do’es that make any sence? Don’t want to remove the heads or side plate to inspect unless I have to because the paint is shiney new, the screw heads are’nt even chiped yet. I will if necessary funtion 1st, but. Looks nice as is & going on an equally clean ’58 alum runabout . Could’nt find a decient ’50s 35 hp OMC, hard to come by in our area. Need to save his one if possible.

outbdnut2
      Participant

US Member

I’ll go with Frank’s idea that your thermostat was originally stuck open – or something stuck in it preventing it from closing all the way, and now it’s working. I’m of the opinion on things like this that if it stuck once, it may stick again, so I’d replace the thermostat. Today’s OEM revision of that part is number 5005440. Also Sierra/NAPA 18-3543.
        Dave

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Concerning accuracy, I prefer to locate the sender under a head bolt, near the top of the head, and on the side closest to the exhaust cover. That area would run the warmest.

Forget the crack theory. That would be very rare. And if you do remove the ‘stat as a test, do not remove the plastic check valve parts below it. It needs those parts to function correctly. Yeah, I’d install a new ‘stat just to be sure.

putback
          Participant

Yea, no doubt on the T stat. Fact is I should have just replaced it when I did the rest. I’ll hold off on a restart untill that gets here along with the temp gauge and infer red p grip thermometer. Sorry state of affairs I did’nt know about those two items. Be a few days befor I can re test. Till then thanks and any more ideas appreciated. Leigh

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.