Home Forum Ask A Member Lawn mower question

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    rjoynt
    Participant

US Member

Opposedtwin, just to make this thread legal, you probably use the mower at your cottage where you dock your boat….and you need to cut the grass to get to your boat….

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years
        quote rjoynt:

Opposedtwin, just to make this thread legal, you probably use the mower at your cottage where you dock your boat….and you need to cut the grass to get to your boat….

😀 😆
        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

amuller
        Participant

I’m using a 1968 Lawn Boy which cuts fine. The primer no longer works so I have to take off the air cleaner cover, take out the foam, and stick my finger in the carb throat to choke it. It does smoke a little even at 32-1.

Briggs engines are almost always 4-stroke. If it were my mower I’d use a 10W30 or similar synthetic oil. I don’t believe in non-detergent oils. You *can* get 30 weight oil of high quality but why bother? On my snowblower, which lives outside in Minnesota, I use 0W30 synthetic oil and it starts fine, usually with two pulls.

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

My lawn boy "garbage found" lives on to…. took out the auto-drive , and changed the spark plug ….vroom…!

It is the one with the removable top plate to install a grass catcher bag . I had a steel plate made up for it with a 6×6 inch opening only

Sharpen the blade every year and it make a perfect chipper for all my small poplar and willow branches up to about 1 inch thick (softwood) branches)

and the deck is aluminum….should last may more years !

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Steve D
            Participant
              quote rjoynt:

Attachments:

green-thumbs
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Motors change and Oil changes. I had a 1968 Plymouth and used high grade Shell X 100
                I bought a 1974 Nova replacement. On 1st oil change I asked for Shell X 100. At 2nd oil change
                the oil came out like pudding. NOT good! Owner’s manual (who ever reads those?) called for a
                much improved oil…those letters on top of oil can do mean something
                Louis

outbdnut2
                Participant

US Member
                  quote green thumbs:

Motors change and Oil changes. I had a 1968 Plymouth and used high grade Shell X 100
                  I bought a 1974 Nova replacement. On 1st oil change I asked for Shell X 100. At 2nd oil change
                  the oil came out like pudding. NOT good! Owner’s manual (who ever reads those?) called for a
                  much improved oil…those letters on top of oil can do mean something
                  Louis

Yeah oil has changed over the years! I’ve got a couple old cars (1951 and 1968) and now, if you have a push-rod engine, you are supposed to either seek out oil that has Zinc additive ZDDP in it, or buy the zinc supplement and add it to the oil or the cam lobes and/or valve lifters will wear out. ZDDP used to be in nearly all motor oils. Antifreeze for older cars is another issue, but enough digression from the original subject in this string.

On my 4-stroke mower, snowblower, and other small 4-stroke engines, I switch to synthetic Mobil 1 at the 2nd or 3rd oil change. I’ve heard that some engines may not break in properly with synthetic oil.
                  Dave

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.