Home Forum Ask A Member lead coated sheet metal

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    gofastgramps
    Participant

US Member

I need to make two gas tanks for two Caille rbm,s I was told I could use lead coated sheet steel. Has anyone done this or know where to buy the metal? thank’s gary

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

As I recall, they call it "Turnplate". That’s what the factory uses . . . 😎

RICHARD A. WHITE
        Participant

Lifetime Member

There are people who already make tanks, and they appear to be of good quality. I bought one for my Lockwood-Ash RBM. Very excited to "re"build that motor.

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
          classicomctools@gmail.com

joecb
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It’s Terne or commonly called Terne Plate. I know of no consumer friendly source for this material. And I’m in the Detroit area where , one would think that the stuff should be available. The alternative is to use galvanized ( zinc coated) steel sheet.

Joe B

green-thumbs
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Is a coated steel required for your intended purpose? Probably not. Even if needed, there are probably alternatives…such as tinning the steel as needed to allow seams to be soldered.
              Industrial methods and materials and hand crafted methods and materials often differ
              as much as day and night.
              Article on how a welder duplicated a rusted out gas tank on a rare rare rare car…welded it
              an exact copy in stainless steel. Not many could afford him, but, those who could were pleased.
              Louis.

amuller
              Participant

Terne as stated above. A lead-tin alloy. It’s better to avoid lead-containing materials as much as possible.

joecb
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Just for clarification before we get too far off track, terne that was/ is commonly used for fuel tanks is steel sheet with a thin lead/tin coating. With such a coating it is most easily soldered with the common lead/tin solders. And yes I wouldn’t make a soup bowl or tea cup out if it.

Joe B

Tom
                  Participant

US Member

You might be amazed how easy it is to solder to a pineapple juice can.

Just for reference, I’ve had several of these J motors, and none of them ever had a decent tank. This one came with one that was completely unusable,including the filler neck. But I wanted to have one to run, and this one runs great. See below for the copy for the intended decal, if I can ever get my printer working correctly. (The tank is currently bright orange.)

Tom

Attachments:

fisherman6
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Tom,
                      I love the juice can fuel tank! The decals are pretty great too (OJ-70) lol. Very nice!
                      -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

bobw
                      Participant

US Member

Nice job on the fuel tank. I’ve seen beer keg gas tanks on motor trikes but never a juice can tank on an outboard! Bet it looks really sweet (pun intended) painted bright orange!

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                        1954 Johnson CD-11
                        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                        1958 Johnson QD-19
                        1958 Johnson FD-12
                        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.