Home Forum Ask A Member Locate new coils for Johnson CD12

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    itchy
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Needing new coils for a 1955 Johnson 5.5hp CD12. The guy I have gone to in the past has gone out
      of business. Looking for good coils for a reasonable price. Any suggestions?

bobw
      Participant

US Member

Part #584477. I like to stay with original OMC/BRP coils for best fit. Available at:

marineengine.com
        duskyonline.com (original BRP parts with 25% discount)

Plenty of aftermarket brand coils available on ebay, but fitment can sometimes be problematic.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

david-bartlett
        Participant
          quote bobw:

Part #584477. I like to stay with original OMC/BRP coils for best fit. Available at:

marineengine.com
          duskyonline.com (original BRP parts with 25% discount)

Plenty of aftermarket brand coils available on ebay, but fitment can sometimes be problematic.

I am with Bob on this one. Since the Prufrex coils have dried up, I am only using BRP coils. Price is reasonable for a motor I want to keep and I have SOME faith in the product.

I realize others have been using the Chinesium coils with good results, but I can’t bring myself to send the money to China for these. If everyone does that, the OEM stuff will be gone in a hurry.

JMHO.

reivertom
          Participant

US Member

What he said!^^^^^^The OMC/BRP coils will be best, but they will cost more. If you want to take a chance on Fleabay coils, they aren’t all the same. Some work better than others, So do some homework before you buy. There are some cheaper coil that folks say work well, but I can’t remember the seller’s store. The good thing about you model of motor, it uses the most available coils of all. They were used by OMC for decades on many different models.

itchy
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Ah, thank you thank you. I have explored MarineEngine.com BRP and OMC look good.

fisherman6
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have used some of the Chinesium Zhongfadz Universal magneto replacement coils. I have bought several of them. So far they have not given me any trouble. I have a ’56 Fastwin that I put them in this Spring and have put quite a few miles on them this summer. Still no issues. All this said, I still like the OMC coils better and have a bit more faith in their construction. I have seen the pins twist out of the Chinese ones. The OMC / BRP coils seem to make a hotter spark at a lower rpm than the Chinese ones also. Bottom line, the Chinese ones seem to work OK and have been reliable so far. Will they be in 10 years? Time will tell. The OMC/BRP ones get my vote if you want to be confident in your motor though.
                -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

bobw
                Participant

US Member

Same thought for me on ignition points as well – OMC/BRP only.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                  1954 Johnson CD-11
                  1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                  1958 Johnson QD-19
                  1958 Johnson FD-12
                  1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                  "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

itchy
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Looking forward to receiving g the OMC/BRP coils as the best I can do currently.

Errol

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2Pcs-Ignition-C … 100623.m-1

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.