Home Forum Ask A Member Long shaft extension

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    hmai
    Participant

I have a couple of big twins 55 Johnson and a 58 Javelin. Both run great arguably flawless. I have been debating on finding a long shaft extension or a spare long shaft LU. Short shaft boats are getting harder to find. What is the last year these were interchangeable? I know clutch dogs, and forward/reverse gears were modified, but for the most part u could take most lower units and swap until some time in the 70’s. Other than the bolt pattern, anything else I need to know.

billy-j
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Your 1955 and 1958 big twins need the leg extension casting,the longer drive shaft, the brass shift rod extension and the water tube extension. Nothing needs to be done with your lower unit. Just take it apart and bolt the new pieces together.

chris-p
        Participant

I think I have a couple long shaft extension kits for the Big Twins left.

camelcat
          Participant

Same question but related to a ’72 Mercury 500. The engine will be used on a ’59 Alumacraft Queen Merrie until I can find an appropriate year long shaft motor. Does any one know where I can get a 4" shaft extension for this engine. Or, does anyone have a long shaft 35-50 hp outboard within the years ’57-’64 that I may purchase.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.