Home Forum Ask A Member Lower unit drain plug

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    dave-bernard
    Participant

US Member

and stronger all allen wrenches are no the same quality means alot

captchuck
      Participant

Thanks for the suggestions. As the plug in down in a hole a bit I don’t think welding something to it is going to happen. I think I am going to try the left handed drill bit first and see if it will work. I’ll use a size that will work with one of my easy outs and that way if it doesn’t come loose after the drilling maybe the easy out will work. If that fails then I guess I’ll drill out completely and retap for a new plug. I appreciate the responses and suggestions.

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

don’t drill out…. try a heat gun or try freezing with an upside down air can (keyboard pressured air) i get the stuff at Dollar stores $4

upsidedown it sprays CO2 like gas and will shock freeze the nut ….

if you do drill go a tad smaller that the thread size and careful with chips ending up in the gearcase

re-tapping would be my last choice

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

labrador-guy
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If you have a small amount of your plug left. Try a center punch, tap lightly at first along the edge to make a divot. Then angle the punch slightly to turn the old plug counterclockwise. This was the only way we could screws out of motorcycle case’s in the old days.

dale

kerry
            Participant

US Member

I deal with hardened allen bolts at work. I use a Dremel with a 1/8" end mill to cut slots for the biggest flat screwdriver or chisel I can fit, visegrips for extra turning force. Takes a steady hand with a firm grip, cuts fast. The small bits that Dremel sells work, but the end mill works awesome. https://www.mscdirect.com/product/detai … 2?fromRR=Y

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

jerry-ahrens
              Participant

US Member

All good ideas, except the allen (drain screw) is recessed into the gearcase on Force motors. Later models have the regular flat head drain screw with a washer. The old design works fine except when it gets over tightened.
                I’m sure you know the refill procedure, the ”fill” plug is on top next to the ”vent” plug. Or at least that’s how I remember it being. Fill it slowly to avoid air pockets. Quicksilver High Perf gear lube will give you extra protection in case of water intrusion.
                I use Sierra 18 -2945 FIBER washers on Force motors. The nylon OMC ones won’t work. The Mercury 12-19183…3 BLUE coated washers will not work either on a Force. They will squash out when tightened, and will leak.

captchuck
                Participant

Hey Jerry, finally someone who is familiar with this specific engine. Mine is one of those recessed plugs. Have you ever drilled one out? If so could you PM me and we can discuss how it went?

alanp
                  Participant

US Member

I use these with a lot of success. Most of the the time I find one that fits into the Allen wrench socket and it will screw out, other times I need to drill the socket only to clean it out then the extracter fits nicely to screw it out.
                    Alan

alanp
                    Participant

US Member

Forgot the photo.

Attachments:

jerry-ahrens
                      Participant

US Member
                        quote CaptChuck:

Hey Jerry, finally someone who is familiar with this specific engine. Mine is one of those recessed plugs. Have you ever drilled one out? If so could you PM me and we can discuss how it went?

I don’t remember ever having to drill one out.. I guess I’ve been lucky on the ones I’ve worked on. That was back in the early 90’s, haven’t seen one for quite a few years. I think I’d try the Torx bit approach that Bill suggested first. Grab one of those cheaper priced multi bit assorted kits in the plastic box from Menards, Home Depot etc. Try using a 1/4 socket with a ratchet to turn the bit. The problem with using Spiral Easy Outs, is they will usually cause the part your trying to remove to expand, and make the problem worse. The other issue is to find an extractor that’s small enough to fit INSIDE the hexagon area where you would drill the hole. I’ll post a picture in the morning of the extractor set I use, when I get to the shop. I’d pick up a couple more of the allen drain plugs and put in a new one each time you change the gear lube, and use a new allen wrench as well. Hope this helps!
                        Edit: I’ve never tried the Black and Decker extractor set pictured above. I was reffering to the old fashioned Easy Outs…

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.