Home Forum Ask A Member Lower unit leakage

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    rjoynt
    Participant

US Member

I know why they call old outboards ‘time magnets ‘! I used JB Weld aluminum patch. It worked great. I let it set overnight while I slept. Put it in the tank today. It ran somewhat good. The carb does need some attention. But what got me was that it jumped out of gear! The dog looked good when I had it apart, but looks are sometimes deceiving! Looks like I have to go back in the lower unit. But, with the proper tools from Frank (the shift shaft seal tool) and Stevens, the pressure tester, and a great group in this Club, makes it worthwhile and enjoyable!
      Thanks all.

Anonymous

Is your shift linkage worn or loose?

rjoynt
        Participant

US Member

No. It shows the usual jump out of gear when it is put under load.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Perhaps you just assembled something incorrectly, or did not get the cradle/fork installed properly….Did you get both of the thrust washers on the gears reinstalled? Oftentimes they are stuck in there with oil during disassembly, but can fall out without you even realizing they were there….

Anonymous

If the clutch dog is not held in position by linkage with no play it will jump out of gear. Even with new clutch dog and matching new dogs on the gears.

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.