Home Forum Ask A Member making an old tank gas strainer

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    speedlinerbu
    Participant

US Member

I have a newly acquired Elto Ruddertwin and need to make or adapt a fuel filter for it. Please tell me what you did. Many thanks someone.

Tom
      Participant

US Member

Is there a screen on the plug at the bottom of the tank outlet?

T

speedlinerbu
        Participant

US Member

There is no screen present. There is a recess in the plug to collect sediment. Judging by the crude drawing in the parts list there was a cylindrical screen that rested in the plug. The other end was in a recess in the tank.

nabmd
          Participant

US Member

McMaster-Carr has steel screen. I got 1 sheet of 80 x80. Cut off a piece about 1" wide and as tall as you want it to be, roll it around a small bolt, then epoxy it into the recess. I crimp the top flat and put epoxy on that end also. It usually overlaps itself by at least 1/3 of the circumference, so I don’t try to epoxy the side closed. You’ll probably make 30+ filters from 1 sheet. NABMD

george-emmanuel
            Participant

US Member

The steel works OK but will probably rust in time. There is brass screen material available and it is easily soldered. Use the same method as described above. Now, onto the motor….The recess in that plug does serve as a sediment collector but only if there is a screen present. You need to measure the distance from the bottom of the plug to the rim inside the tank where the filter would top out. It is designed so when the plug is screwed in the filter bottoms out on both ends.

speedlinerbu
              Participant

US Member

Thanks for the insights!
                What opening size in the mesh do you recommend?

david-bartlett
                Participant

I have some 100 X 100 that works well.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.