Home Forum Ask A Member Making Head Gaskets for fun and profit?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    seakaye12
    Participant

US Member

Hi…..

Anyone have any experience making a head gasket? One that is NLA? I have tried the search feature here….entered "Make Head Gasket"……and got the all too familiar screen that said MAKE HEAD GASKET are all too common words…..

I have read elswwhere; like here:
      http://www.gasenginemagazine.com/Gas-En … ad-Gaskets

The Fel-Pro material they are referring to is; I believe PN#FPG2499…….or the Victor JV222…..

Has this been discussed here? Anyone have any input? Thanks.

PS: Just wanted to add this link:

http://www.gasketstogo.com/Evinrude.htm

jw-in-dixie
      Participant

Have forever made powerhead to tower gaskets for Mercs from Cmas coat/shirt and cereal boxes.
        Originals are flimsy and usually have to be scraped off. Coat the porous side with varnish, after dry coat both sides with a smear of grease and they are reusable many times.

Before I had a gasket cutter tool set, I used empty bullet cases of the appropriate size. Told a buddy about this and he used a .45 by removing the slug and striking with a hammer. Course it exploded, much to his surprise. 😮 A hole punch works for qtr inch.

No head gasket experience since Mercs have no heads. Made an aluminum head gasket once for a Mustang cycle motor cause the factory ones would not hold. Worked.

Heck, anything will work if you crank it fast enough. 😉

dan-in-tn
        Participant

US Member

In my experience Victor Reintz is the best material. No asbestos these days! You can do pretty good until you need a fire ring then it gets a little more interesting? A member has contacted a gasket maker who is willing to make gaskets for us. Very reasonable. Even a foreign guy is offering to make one off gaskets. I don’t have his link right now. Randy in Tampa had a batch of gaskets made by the USA company for POs & other models.

Dan in TN

The Boat House
          Participant

I have made an exhaust cover gasket for a vertical
            twin Neptune using the Victor JV222. Fun? Nope.
            Profit? I cant see how it can be worth it.

bsplit
            Participant

What material do you guys use for making OMC pressure tank gaskets?

chris-p
              Participant

I make my own gaskets all the time, until like Dan stated, you need the fire ring. I got some of those gaskets off Randy. They were pretty nice. For the cost, I would not bother making my own again.

Forget about selling them for a profit! Think this is just a thing for yourself if you need it and don’t have one handy. Making a nice gasket can take some time and patience. Then whats it worth, 5 bucks or so? Not worth the time in my opinion. Others may vary.

seakaye12
                Participant

US Member

quote t2stroke:

Even a foreign guy is offering to make one off gaskets. I don’t have his link right now. Randy in Tampa had a batch of gaskets made by the USA company for POs & other models.

Dan in TN

Dan …..i am referring to head gaskets. Is that what you mean by fire rings?

Btw….the link I think you are referring to re: the foreign guy is in my original post above.

Thanks. 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.