Home Forum Ask A Member Making johnson HD-25 Starter Springs

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    dmon666999
    Participant

Hello I have an old I believe 40’s Johnson Seahorse that has the springs for the starter pawls to make them engage when the rope is pulled missing. I’ve done some digging and found that you can make the from a "E" guitar string. But every articles points me to this site for the instructions, but all the links have since went bad. I was wondering if anyone still had the instructions on how to do this still? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

dmon666999
      Participant

Never mind. Didn’t realize I could search now that I am a member, sorry about that. But my second question is that the pawls on mine are loose, as in they can move up and down on its mounting pin. The can wobble quite a bit. Seems as if the spring will just fall off after trying to engage, from the pawl flopping around. Is there a way to tighten them up? I had initially bought a factory set and they wouldn’t stay on.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Do you have the equalizer ring?

Mumbles
          Participant
            quote dmon666999:

now that I am a member

If you are a member of the club, you can apply to the webmaster to get your name highlighted in red so you can access the Members Only sections of these boards. If you are a registered member of the forum only, this is it. 😀

Attachments:

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

Because of a some what lack of precision in those antiques, the pawls could drag on the starter if not properly centered. The most common problem was screwing down the starter without the pawls being properly seated. You had to pull the rope out a bit and allow it to retract while resting on the paws to retract them so the housing would be properly seated. If the housing is screwed down against the pawls, they will pry the posts out of the rope sheave. A few taps with a hammer will put them back in place. Don’t go too far or they will bind. Note that the straight part of the pawl spring that goes through the post in the Rope Sheave (drum) extends far enough to hold down the coil of the spring. Also be sure the starter pulley shaft is centered over the crankshaft. That starter was more or less standard on Evinrude and Johnson outboards from the mid 1930s through 1950. . . . 😎

dmon666999
              Participant

Yes I do have the equalizer ring and thanks to all of you for the info this helps a lot. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

dmon666999
                Participant

Am I correct in saying the spring loops around the post twice before going through it and holding the whole coil down?

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

I have seen them both ways. The double loop is more prevalent . . . 😎

steveh
                    Participant

US Member

Rather than a nail I used a Dremel collet. Put the wire into the slot and wrap it around the shaft.

Buccaneer
                      Participant

US Member

For me, the double loop springs were too stiff. Believe I used
                        the recommended wire. Also, I usually had to make three springs
                        for ever good one that I was happy with!

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.