Home Forum Ask A Member Mark 20 no spark

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ronboonville
    Participant

I replaced the condensers, disassembled, cleaned and polished points, replaced plug wires, sealed cracks in coils with corona dope and checked resistance between coil and plug wires as 4.3. Checked air gap and cannot get a spark. Think the coil is too weak? points bad? Scintilla bendix mag. Something obvious. With this type do I need the flywheel on when I spin it?

RICHARD A. WHITE
      Participant

Lifetime Member

I think yes as the points cam is on the flywheel, but I could be wrong

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
        classicomctools@gmail.com

green-thumbs
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Mark 20 has magneto 301-73. Cam is on magnet rotor
          Swapping in KNOWN good coils and condensers would narrow the field of possible problems. Be aware that for a spark to jump spark plug gap under compression requires much more voltage that to jump same gap in open air.
          Coils with internal leakage may show a spark in open .but, ground out internally rather than thru spark plug when under compression.

Compare your reassembled points with a set that works…Murphy’s Law states when it is
          equally likely to assemble something correctly or incorrectly , chance favors the wrong way.
          I am well acquainted with Mr. Murphy’s Laws…unfortunately.
          About all I know of subject.
          Louis

Attachments:

ronboonville
          Participant
            quote green thumbs:

Mark 20 has magneto 301-73. Cam is on magnet rotor
            Swapping in KNOWN good coils and condensers would narrow the field of possible problems. Be aware that for a spark to jump spark plug gap under compression requires much more voltage that to jump same gap in open air.
            Coils with internal leakage may show a spark in open .but, ground out internally rather than thru spark plug when under compression.

Compare your reassembled points with a set that works…Murphy’s Law states when it is
            equally likely to assemble something correctly or incorrectly , chance favors the wrong way.
            I am well acquainted with Mr. Murphy’s Laws…unfortunately.
            About all I know of subject.
            Louis

right cam is on the rotor. air gap was at the rotor. new condensers. Is there a test for the points as far as resistance?

green-thumbs
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

My experience with electricity goes back 70 or so years…I was nearly electrocuted. An experience that has tended to keep me and electricity at an arm’s length plus 10 feet.
              That said and…the path from coil thru points should be checked to be sure it is not
              grounding out due to misassembly of the small items and of course keep in mind that
              metals conduct, oxides insulate…dirt and crud will either conduct or insulate depending
              on which is most inconvenient.
              I have several point sets from K1-6 apart at moment that are severely corroded. If better
              points were available I would trash them. Not an option, so they await some miracle rust removing solution.
              There is a lot of effort put into salvaging Bendix coils. I have not tried that route. Until and
              unless our friends in China take an interest the only option.
              I looked into haveing core rewound and was quoted $250 to 300. I guess that is a one off price not for a series run. WAY too much in any case.

In the late 1970s or early 1980s Toro went to solid state ignition and offered Guaranteed to Start for years of use. In 1983 I bought a Toro walk behind lawnmower for a 1/2 acre yard.
              NEVER failed to start even when compression said mower was worn out. Same with the
              following 2 replacement Toro mowers which I picked up used.
              I also picked up a well used Toro showthrower that still had points….that was a bear to start
              until I got fed up and did a thorough rebuild of ignition and fuel system…then it was as easy
              to start as lawnmowers.

I had a young friend with a Maytag gas engine that defied his best efforts UNTIL he replaced
              the NEW spark plug with a spark plug from an engine that ran well.
              New Champion Spark Plug was defective. Rare, but, as the saying goes "They don’t make them like they used to."
              Louis
              I have and use the Bendix Magneto Rotor tools. I have seen rotors that were removed by
              prying…cracked and bent. The correct tools are very much worth having just for the time
              they save.
              Again I AM NOT anyone’s idea of an expert in these matters
              0.020" for new points and 0.018" for used points seem pretty much the rule for Bendix
              Repco/Phelon, Wico and Eisemann magnetos.
              Points are a switch…on and off…coils and condensers have values to measure
              Louis
              Louis

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.