Home Forum Ask A Member MARK 55 IGNITION KEY

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jrm80
    Participant

I HAVE A 1957 MARK 55E AND WOULD LIKE TO MAKE A FEW EXTRA KEYS FOR IT, BUT I AM UNABLE TO FIND A SOURCE FOR THE BLANK KEYS. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THEY COULD BE FOUND OR ALTERNATIVELY LOCATED BY KEY NUMBER. THIS PARTICULAR TYPE KEY PREDATED THE KEYS MERCURY USED IN THE LATER YEARS AS IT IS A THINNER KEY WITH TUMBLERS ON BOTH SIDES OF THE KEY. THE IGNITION SWITCH IS LOCATED IN THE REMOTE CONTROL HOUSING IF THAT HELPS.

THANK YOU,

JRM80

eltoquad
      Participant

US Member

You might try Joe Poole at Ferguson/Poole marine in Atlanta GA.

jrm80
        Participant

THANKS FOR THE REPLY. I TRIED FERGUSON BUT UNFORTUNATELY THEY CAN’T HELP. ANY MORE SUGGESTIONS?

amuller
          Participant

Are there any markings on the key(s) that you have? Any markings on the switch that might indicate the manufacturer? An old time locksmith might be able to help.

Take a look at this: http://www.ahlstrandmarine.com/products … -keys.html

What they are calling "Mercury old series" look like a form of double cut key to me.

labrador-guy
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

amul, if it were mine I would take the switch to a locksmith. He might be able to make one from his special stock of keys. Hugos here in Bay City MI are just incredible when it comes to locks. I bought a car once, found it had a locking gas cap when I needed to get gas. After a slight panic that I had no key for the cap, I rolled into the lock smith’s shop. He came out with a big box of keys and it wasn’t long and he had the right one and made me two from the original and I was on my way! Must be a good smithey in your area too!

dale

labrador-guy
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

oops! Should have addressed my comment to JRM80
                sorry

dale

jrm80
                Participant

FOR ANYONE INTERESTED IN THIS PROBLEM, I FOUND THE SOLUTION. IN THE OLDER (1950’S) MERCURY ENGINES, THEY USED A KEY MADE BY A FIRM NAMED CLUM. CLUM MADE KEYS FOR EARLY (1920’S) CARS UP THROUGH THE 40’S AND BEYOND. ALTHOUGH SIMILAR TO THE KEYS USED IN THE 70’S AND BEYOND, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME AND NOT INTERCHANGEABLE. AS FAR AS I CAN TELL, CLUM NO LONGER EXISTS SO YOU CAN’T GO TO THEM, HOWEVER TWO MANUFACTURERS ALSO MAKE THE BLANK KEYS AND THEY ARE AVAILABLE ON EBAY. THEY ARE ILCO AND TAYLOR. IF YOU LOOK UNDER ILCO, YOU NEED KEY BLANK 1040 AND IF YOU LOOK UNDER TAYLOR, YOU NEED KEY NUMBER 40. BE CAREFUL WITH ILCO AS THEY OFFER MANY VARIATIONS OF THE 1040 KEY, NOTABLY 1040B 1040E, 1040U ETC. YOU DON’T WANT ANY OF THOSE. YOU WANT THE 1040 WITH NO LETTER DESINGATION AFTER THE NUMBER. SIMILARLY, INTHE TAYLOR KEY, YOU WANT KEY NUMBER 40, NOT 40A, 40B ETC. I ORDERED THE ILCO 1040, HAD IT GROUND BY THE LOCAL LOCKSMITH FOR 2.00 AND NOW HAVE MY SPARE KEY. THE KEY BLANKS ARE NOT CHEAP, THEY WILL RUN YOU 8.00-15.00, BUT YOU CAN FIND THEM. THE LOCKSMITH DID NOT HAVE THE CORRECT KEY BLANK, BUT WAS ABLE TO POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION SO I COULD FIND THEM.

HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE.

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

Benny’s Key Shop at 3248 W Bay the Bay in Tampa has made some "Impossible" keys for me. (Bay to Bay is NOT wheel chair accessible) If you happen to be in my neighborhood – – – 😆

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.