Home Forum Ask A Member merc coil testing

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    gofastgramps
    Participant

US Member

I am working on a three cylinder 70 hp. merc. with solid state ignition. Can the coils be tested on s merc-o-tromic tester? gary

RICHARD A. WHITE
      Participant

Lifetime Member

I do not think so, if memory serves …..

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
        classicomctools@gmail.com

jw-in-dixie
        Participant

Don’t know much about modern ignitions, but I built a coil tester with a variable interrupted output voltage that works well on the old mag coils. Begin with min voltage and increase until a good spark is produced, or no spark. I can test coils on the bench or onboard and run them for hours, applying controlled heat with a hair dryer to be sure they are reliable. Don’t see why it wouldn’t work on any coil, which is only a transformer.

I presently have a 1974 Merc 200 carcass that I need to test the ignition, so am anxiously awaiting the opinions of the experts. Cheers, JW

debe
          Participant

I have a Mercotronic 9800 that has a CDI coil test function. This is the circuit of the CDI function of it. So yes there is one model that can be used to test CDI coils.

gofastgramps
            Participant

US Member

I have a 9800 that I don’t use often (and forgot about) I will dig it out and see if it will work for this. I also have a 800 series for solid state but no info. on how to use it for the outboard coils. thanks for the help. gary

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.