Home Forum Ask A Member Merc Ke7 pivot shaft removal?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    wyo307
    Participant

Can someone please explain to me how to remove the pivot pin from a ke7 tower/transom clamp? I would assume it has to be driven out but what direction? It isn’t threaded like the one on my ke4. Thanks for the help.

mercuryman
      Participant

Screw threaded rod in shaft drop a pipe, washer and tighten a nut on and make a puller. My KF7 had threads in shaft I forgot what size. You may may need to make threads inside shaft.

RICHARD A. WHITE
        Participant

Lifetime Member

Thread size is 1/2-20, I think…lol

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
          classicomctools@gmail.com

jw-in-dixie
          Participant

On very stubborn ones, I use a pin punch or = and drive out from bottom. Good luck

RICHARD A. WHITE
            Participant

Lifetime Member

There is a tool that draws them out, one can also adapt a slide hammer to "assist" is getting it moving

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
              classicomctools@gmail.com

wyo307
              Participant

Thank you all for the comments. I was able to get the pin out by setting the appropriate sized long socket on the bottom of the pin and lightly driving it out until I could grab ahold of it and pull it out the rest of the way. luckily it wasn’t stuck at all and came out relatively easily. The pin is not taped on either end so I will be doing that before reinstalling it in order to make it easier if I ever need to remove it again.

jw-in-dixie
                Participant

You didn’t mention bushing condition. On lightly-used or wall queens I use various sizes of PVC pipe, couplings, faucet bushings, whatever can be machined to fit. Quite durable. Lube well.

John Schubert
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

I have the tool. I will loan it to you if you pay shipping to & return.
                    John Schubert
                    jschubert19j@gmail.com

20mercman
                    Participant

US Member

I have used a 1/2" x 20 bolt and then stack spacers under the bolt. Then tighten it against the washers, and it will act like a puller to pull the pin out. This works very well. You will have to keep adding spacers, but once the pin starts to move, it goes easier.

Steve

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.