Home Forum Ask A Member Merc Tilt/Trim hoses

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    amuller
    Participant

This is likely a bit outside the "antique" category but people here always know stuff:

I’m looking at the tilt/trim system on a 1978 3 cylinder Mercury. It’s the type with cylinders outside the clamps and a boat-mounted pump.

The four hoses have bad kinks in them. I haven’t cut anything open but to me they feel like teflon tubes inside the stainless braid, rather than rubber hose. Replacement hoses seem to be available from Mercury and Sierra, but the prices are not appealing. Can anyone give me guidance on the pressures involved and alternative sources for hoses? Seems to me that hydraulic brake hose might be serviceable in this application.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

As a general rule, brake parts will not withstand oil. That’s why you must use DOT brake fluid in brakes.

20mercman
        Participant

US Member

These frequently have "kinks" in them, but as I have seen, this doesn’t mean that it causes loss of operation. The ones on my boat shed the outer shell years ago, and still work just fine. You can place an over cover on them to improve their looks. I have only replaced them if they are leaking.

Steve

kerry
          Participant

US Member

If you live in one of the Great White Northern states, check at a snow plow dealer. Many snowplows use hoses and pumps similar to the Merc setup. Some can make custom hoses if they don’t stock your lengths.

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member

Some NAPA stores have equipment to make up hydraulic hoses at a reasonable price. I had them make me a power steering hose for my Glastron I/O ski boat. A phone call to a NAPA store may let you know if they think they can make them.
              Dave

amuller
              Participant
                quote 20mercman:

These frequently have “kinks” in them, but as I have seen, this doesn’t mean that it causes loss of operation. The ones on my boat shed the outer shell years ago, and still work just fine. You can place an over cover on them to improve their looks. I have only replaced them if they are leaking.

Steve

Good point, and I haven’t tested the system yet to find out what leaks where.

Are there any detailed manuals for this system, with test pressures, hydraulic circuitry, and so on?

Alan

amuller
                Participant
                  quote Kerry:

If you live in one of the Great White Northern states, check at a snow plow dealer. Many snowplows use hoses and pumps similar to the Merc setup. Some can make custom hoses if they don’t stock your lengths.

I knew I’d seen similar looking hoses somewhere and that’s where: Snowplows! Thanks.

outbdnut2
                  Participant

US Member

As you search for manuals, be sure it is a MErcury hydraulic unit – there were aftermarket ones for outboards back then – some would trim and tilt, others were just for tilt – not enough power to trim.
                    Dave

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.