Home Forum Ask A Member Mercruiser starter.

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

Thanks for that information. It may come in handy one day.

Servicing the inline six should be fairly easy compared to a V-8 or V-6 inboard. My meet hooks just can’t fit under there and it’s usually easier and quicker for me to pull the motor! 🙁

wiscoboater
      Participant

I know your pain. I installed the new hi torque starter in my SeaRay last weekend. Mine is a V8 chevy. About a 6" little tunnel between the floor and the manifold to get the starter, one arm to hold it up, and the other arm to try to get the bolts started. I never knew I knew that many bad words, and my arms look like road rash from a motorcycle crash from rubbing the raw fiberglass edge of the floor. Ain’t this boating thing a relaxing pass time?

rickinfarmington
        Participant

Ah, but the cold beers after I was done, helped to forget the misery. All design engineers should have to take a year of field maintenance before they are allowed to design anything.

wiscoboater
          Participant

AMEN!

billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

For the record, I cruised my Mercruiser service bulletin index and saw nothing about it, either. This was on my microfiche, so maybe it came out after my last updated card.

I seem to remember that with Wellcrafts, it was easier in the long run, to take most of the plywood-and-carpet parts out with a screw gun, first. I own a Wellcraft 18.5 now, myself, which isn’t too bad. But I know the ones you’re talking about! Engine? There’s an ENGINE back there, under all the carpet and cushions????

Long live American manufacturing!

rickinfarmington
              Participant

Just one more reason we all love old outboards.

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.