Home Forum Ask A Member Mercury 55H Value

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    tjmercracer
    Participant

US Member

Does anyone have an opinion on the value of an original Mercury 55H, Green and Cream color (not certain of the model year) unrestored with the factory original carbs? Not stuck and been sitting for many years, but complete. Please let me know. Thanks.

jw-in-dixie
      Participant

Sadly, not as much as it was worth 10 years ago. Not as many racers/collectors as there were – we are dying and younger people are not interested in the old iron. I bought one about ten years ago, ran it for three years, restored it cosmetically and sold it, clearing $1K.

That being said, it all depends on condition. Lots to consider; ignition, compression, water pump, rust, paint, decals, etc. Guess it is worth what you are willing to pay for it. Good luck.

49morphew
        Participant

US Member

JW is spot on. Can you show any photos of this motor?

tjmercracer
          Participant

US Member

I am looking for a general value or range to get me in the ball park. Any help is appreciated.
            Thanks

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

Peter Hunn’s 23 year old "The Old Outboard Book" lists the Mark 55 as being worth from $60. to $350. depending on condition . . . 😆

Condition is EVERYTHING – a GOOD picture is worth a thousand words . . . 😎

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

Peter’s figures were arrived at in the early ’90s when the number of complaints that the prices were too high equaled the numbers saying they were too low. Evidently NO ONE thought they were fair, but they were included by popular demand . . . 😆

49morphew
                Participant

US Member

tjmercracer. Sent you a PM

outboard315
                  Participant

Peter’s book puts this 55H at 150-750, to say thoes prices have doubled I believe would be a better ballpark. Just my .02.

dave-bernard
                    Participant

US Member

try tripled !

vintin
                      Participant

Where are all of the Merc 500’s?

I hardly see any.

Are they mostly gone and recycled at this point?

They seem like about the peak of the vintage Mercs from my understanding.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.