Home Forum Ask A Member Mercury KD4

Viewing 10 posts - 101 through 110 (of 140 total)
  • Author
    Boonie
    Participant

Canada Member

Now it’s getting interesting. I have the scintilla version with the extension nut. When I put the rope pull on the square pegs go into the round holes of the flywheel. Tighten everything up and it rocks back and forth in holes? I can try and send a better picture of everything. Won’t let me send a video.

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

Video would have to be uploaded to YouTube, then linked here.

Prepare to be boarded!

Boonie
        Participant

Canada Member

Working on a KD4 power head that I picked up for parts. It’s stuck. Could use some advice on unsticking it. So far i have removed everything I can. Soaked it for 48 hours in penetrating oil. No movement. Should I try heat? Where can I beat on it to move. Is there anyway to remove the rods from the crank?

opposedtwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I would not beat. Don’t ask me how I know. Besides, anything you have to beat on to free up will more than likely be unusable anyway. Try evey concoction you can learn about and yes, try heat. I have had a twin powerhead soaking for a year now—nothing. I use auto trans fluid and acetone (50/50). It should be completely submerged in your choice of penetrating elixir.

Have also heard of cooking in a crock pot for some time. Worth a try. I firmly believe freeing up stuck parts is all about the freeze/thaw cycle. I have always wanted to cook a stuck piwer gead in an oven then transfer it to a freezer over and over. If I were a bachelor I would have tried it already.

Have also tried tapping ever so gently with a metal rod through the plug hole on the top of the piston and I believe it has helped in the motors I’ve unstuck. Again, carefully and gently.

But patience is key. The thing wants you to beat your will into it. It wants to exploit your stubbornness. Don’t let it.

It looks like the flywheel/mag is still on?

Boonie
            Participant

Canada Member

I stripped it down and took the end plate off the opposite end of the flywheel to have a look inside. Doesn’t look to bad. Re installed the flywheel just to have something to try and rock back and forth. I’m going to try soaking the whole head in different solutions for a while. I have use of a stove at work and a walk in freezer. What do you recommend for cook time. Sounds weird. 350 F for 1 hour?

DAN UMBARGER
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’ve heard of guys using grease…kind of like hydraulic pressure. Haven’t tried it myself but have heard of others doing it. I guess it would depend on where the piston is in it’s travel.

dave-bernard
                Participant

US Member

been doing a lot of thinking. try adding the penetrating oil of choice in the cyl that covers the intake exhaust ports and add a fitting to the spark plug hole add air to say 100 lbs then you can heat if needed to push the fluid along the piston. may work I don’t know.

green-thumbs
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Nuts, washers and threaded rod
                    Grease gun
                    Louis

Boonie
                    Participant

Canada Member

Wow , lots of good ideas. I’ll try some and post my results. Thanks guys. FYI I tried air pressure to take dents out of a TD20 gas tank. Worked great untill I tried just a little more. Tank ended up looking like a football!
                      Oh well live and learn.

Boonie
                      Participant

Canada Member

One down. One to go!

Viewing 10 posts - 101 through 110 (of 140 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.