Home Forum Ask A Member Mercury MK 10 flush

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mercuryman
    Participant

Will the round muff flusher work on the MK 10, if not what will?

RICHARD A. WHITE
      Participant

Lifetime Member

If you can get it to force water thru the motors opening, yes it will work…How nice is you Mark 10? pictures?

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
        classicomctools@gmail.com

dave-bernard
        Participant

US Member

no it wont. there are 2 types. one goes under the cav plate where the intake screen is. the other screws in the cover for the shift springs do not run on this type.

mercuryman
          Participant

Dave what type goes under the captivation plate ? I am going to use it in salt water this summer. Richard my Mk 10 is complete and runs good but it needs a paint job real bad. Someone painted it blue and orange I got it on Ebay for $49 and all it needed was water pump impeller.

raglover
            Participant

US Member

I must recommend that you do not run your mark 10 in salt water. I live near Savannah, GA and unfortunately my mercs do not get a lot of run time here. I only run them in the fresh waters of the rivers or maybe sometimes just starting to get brackish.

The issue is with the drive shaft, prop shaft, and other parts on the Merc. For reasons I still do not understand Merc chose to use carbon steel shafts in these areas and saltwater will really do a number on them. Biggest issue is with the sealing surface of the shafts. It corrodes and leaks.

Not saying you cannot run it, but just a recommendation. I run an old 1970 Evinrude 18 that is ugly and not all that nice as my salt dog. The OMC’s have stainless shafts. I have several Mark 10 and 15’s and like them a lot. Let me know if you need any parts or help.

Allen

dave-bernard
              Participant

US Member

I agree with Allen. but if you want a flush attachment it clamps on the bottom of the cave plate and lines up to the round screen pickup. they were made by TEMPO back then I found one on E bay years ago. better yet run it in a barrel or run it in fresh water for a fun trip.

billw
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I agree totally with Raglover; but if you’re going to run it in salt water anyway, to flush it, run it in a barrel for a good long time, with the water level up over the lower motor mounts. Don’t construe this as me saying it’s okay to run them in the salt. It’s not. It’s BAD. I live around salt water and make my living as a boat mechanic. You might as well run it in battery acid.

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.