Home Forum Ask A Member Mid 50’s Johnson 25HP runs like crap. Advice needed

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    huntleybill
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

UPDATE:
      I have attached pictures of the reeds. None of them were stuck. I see nothing wrong but please look and tell me if you see anything.
      Also, I took the carb apart. As you can see the float looks new. BUT.. isn’t there supposed to be a felt type washer around the jet? I don’t have a parts manual for this motor so I am not sure.

Also, I went back and re-timed the motor using Franks "special tools" but there was no change in the way the motor ran.
      so, now I am not sure where to go next.

Steve D
      Participant
        quote Huntleybill:

UPDATE: isn’t there supposed to be a felt type washer around the jet? I don’t have a parts manual for this motor so I am not sure.

In a previous post it was mentioned "The first time it’s listed in a parts catalog for an RD/Bigtwin is in 1961" but some use one anyways on earlier motors.
        viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13554&start=10&hilit=nozzle+gasket#p71399
        http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/pa … OMC0307778
        And I don’t see a pin holding the float on.

Attachments:

huntleybill
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

There is a pin, I just took it out to inspect the needle and seat.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Wonder why there is so much more smoke & soot in the lower chamber than the upper one?

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years
              quote FrankR:

Wonder why there is so much more smoke & soot in the lower chamber than the upper one?

Am wondering the same thing…Is this the cylinder that isn’t firing?

huntleybill
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

See video. They are both firing. One is not firing very well.

fisherman6
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The top cylinder is the one that is firing erratically and running poorly. The bottom cylinder is running normally from what I see in the video. I’m still feeling like this is an ignition problem. Either a bad coil or condenser seems most likely to me. I’d start with a condenser since that is the easiest thing to swap. If no difference, try a new coil, and wire. One other thing, have you tried swapping the spark plugs from top to bottom to see if the problem follows the plug?

If none of those things do it, maybe check behind the exhaust cover and make sure it isn’t sucking water into the top cylinder somewhere.

-Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

huntleybill
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks Ben: I have replaced the plugs with no luck. The coils, points, condensers and wires are new. But that does not mean they are good. I was going to start re-replacing the ignition parts next.

Just to clarify, how would checking behind the exhaust cover reveal water? Wouldn’t the hot exhaust blow out or dry out any evidence if that were the case? Also, since compression is 110 on both cylinders, would that not rule out any cracks, blown gaskets, leaks etc?

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

Water ingestion from the exhaust cover came to mind here too. But I didn’t say anything—till now. Those motors had an aluminum baffle plate between the block and outer cover. They are known to develop pin holes, which allowed water to squirt into the exhaust ports. Normally discovered too late, after the powerhead is destroyed by rust.

Michael
                      Participant

International Member

The one plug that is clean had me wondering if water was getting in there. Could drop the lower unit and run it briefly without any water and see if the running quality improves. If it does, you have a water leak somewhere, most likely through the exhaust baffle like Franks says.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 39 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.