Home Forum Ask A Member Milemaster pressure tank rebuild

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    olcah
    Participant

US Member

Hi,
      I have a tank rebuild kit with a 1/16" thick cork and rubber gasket and round washers also 1/16 thick cork and rubber for the 8 hold down bolts . Should I use 3M Scotch Weld 857 gasket adhesive on the gasket and the washers? One side only? How about on the rubber diaphragm?
      Thank you.

david-bartlett
      Participant

Olcah,

When I did mine, I didn’t use anything but the gaskets. Make sure everything is nice and clean and it should work fine.

How you coming on your RD?

olcah
        Participant

US Member

My RD15A ran in a bucket last week but not well. I found that the coils, set exactly at the machined stops, were very lightly rubbing the flywheel magnet. I set the coils back using tape on the coil heels as a spacer and when the pressure tank is ready I will make another run. The problem could also have been aggravated by the leaking pressure tank and by ingesting its own exhaust.
          The RJE18 also started and ran poorly. Later I noticed on pulling the motor over manually that very little air came through the motor end of the tank connection. I will probably take a look at the leaf plate as I did see some corrosion there when I rebuilt the carb.
          What is the status of your RD16? Spring is coming.

david-bartlett
          Participant
            quote OLCAH:

My RD15A ran in a bucket last week but not well. I found that the coils, set exactly at the machined stops, were very lightly rubbing the flywheel magnet. I set the coils back using tape on the coil heels as a spacer and when the pressure tank is ready I will make another run. The problem could also have been aggravated by the leaking pressure tank and by ingesting its own exhaust.
            The RJE18 also started and ran poorly. Later I noticed on pulling the motor over manually that very little air came through the motor end of the tank connection. I will probably take a look at the leaf plate as I did see some corrosion there when I rebuilt the carb.
            What is the status of your RD16? Spring is coming.

OLCAH,

Spring is coming. I have the RD ready to go once the weather warms up a bit. I will run it in the bucket in the driveway and see what happens. Can’t wait to make some smoke!

aquasonic
            Participant

US Member

Over the winter, I rebuilt two of these tanks. I choose to use gasket sealer on the top cork gasket and coated all four surfaces before assembly. I also coated the eight screws that hold the cast aluminum tank top to the steel tank.

I believe these gaskets came with a gasket sealer from the factory, and the extra seal there can only be a good thing. You don’t want to have a pressure leak or worse, leaking fuel.

On the rubber diaphragm, no sealer was used, just a little grease on the eight diaphragm screws.

chris-p
              Participant

When installing the diaphragm, you are supposed to apply a thin coat of 3M 847 around the hole in both cupped washers. The side the diaphragm contacts. This is to eliminate air leaks at this point. Fuel could also leak out under the pump button.

Gasket sealing compound is not called for on the gasket nor the screws, however, as stated, I don’t think it would hurt. I put OMC Gasket Sealing Compound, or more 3M 847 on the screw threads and on the gasket itself.

aquasonic
                Participant

US Member
                  quote Chris_P:

When installing the diaphragm, you are supposed to apply a thin coat of 3M 847 around the hole in both cupped washers. The side the diaphragm contacts. This is to eliminate air leaks at this point. Fuel could also leak out under the pump button.

Gasket sealing compound is not called for on the gasket nor the screws, however, as stated, I don’t think it would hurt. I put OMC Gasket Sealing Compound, or more 3M 847 on the screw threads and on the gasket itself.

Chris, are you referring to the older style tanks with the aluminum pump button?

I recall a post by Garry stating that OMC changed over to the plastic button setup partly because they did have problems with gas leaks through the aluminum buttons. I think that is why they eventually went to the plastic button with no button hole in the diaphragm.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.