Home Forum Ask A Member MOTOR DATA BASE

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    punchbug
    Participant

I am currently developing a motor database for all outboard motors. The database is currently at a little over 13gb in size with 12,000+ files in 893 folders. This database includes service manuals, parts catalogs, owners manuals , service bulletins etc. As of now this database will only be open to non-members of AOMCI who submit digital copies of any of the above mentioned items we do not already have. If you send us something currently not in the database on a USB stick that you purchase, I will return the stick with all the information I have currently amassed at no charge but the actual cost to return the USB stick via mail. THIS WILL ONLY BE AVAILABLE TO NON MEMBERS WHO SUBMIT SOMETHING that WE CURRENTLY DO NOT HAVE. All members will have the same offer on a USB stick without the requirement to submit any information if you choose not to. Of course we will accept any information you may want to contribute pertaining to anything related to the outboarder hobby. If you are not a member this is a good reason to join this great club.

joellerich
      Participant

US Member

If I want a copy where do I send the USB stick ? I am a member.

John

bob-d
        Participant

US Member

Same here. Also do you have a PayPal account for payment for return shipping.
          Thanks,
          Bob D

rmhxruss
          Participant

Short question for a long answer. What are you in need of?

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I recently had comments regarding a copywright issue and do not want to rain on your goal to get all the info on a USB key but do keep in mind any liabilities you may face if any holders of a copywright starts complaining.

an if you do go ahead… i’ll be asking for a copy 😀

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

phil-b
              Participant

Just in case, was searching for KR-45 info today, and got a hit at this site:

http://www.joeoutboard.com/manuals.html

I appreciate the work you’re doing, but snail-mailing media seems so last millenium!

punchbug
                Participant

Lets deal with this one aspect at a time.
                  My address
                  Bill Smart
                  6-29338 Jane Rd.
                  Thamesville Ontario Canada
                  N0P2K0

Copyright.
                  As I am not selling anything nor am I making money off of this I don’t believe copyright law comes into effect. It would be no different than me buying an informational manual and then give it to you. I am by no means a lawyer but I don’t believe that would violate any law. That is why I do not want any money. When and if this database becomes part of the Aomci member only website I am sure the Executive council will iron all this out. Further to that I am not sharing anything that is not at least 40 years old. The majority of the info I have is for defunct motor brands. I am also not providing anything which is readily available in the marketplace such as Seloc or Clymer manuals. I do have permission for a few of the manuals I have that are out of print but still under owner copyright protection. IF ANY LAWYER OUT THERE THINKS I AM BREAKING ANY COPYRIGHT LAW PLEASE INFORM ME AS SUCH and I will cease to do this immediately.

Paypal account. As the exchange of money may be an issue I will pay for any return shipping on USB sticks I send back along with a receipt for my cost to send it. I will also include my paypal account information. Please send me a self addresed bubble mailer in your package so I dont have to buy that as well. They are a couple of bucks each up here. If you wish to send me back the actual cost of the return mail great, if not no problem I will just consider it part of my desire to help. I am not in this to make any money!!!! I am strictly doing this with the desire to help fellow restorers.
                  I am only doing this to help people who have an interest in maintaining the history via this great hobby.

What do I need???? Hmm This is such a vast project it is far far easier to just get what you have, then check to see if I have it already. If I don’t have it already woo hoo I will add it to the database. If I do have, it no harm done I will just copy what I have back on your stick and return it to you. I have very little pre-65 Merc or its predecessors stuff. Little to no RBM stuff such as Lockwood, Korban,Caille and so on. Very little non North American stuff such as Dolphin, Seagull and others. Like I said this is a huge undertaking so just send what you have of original content. Dont send any whole or part of 3rd party printers manuals such as Seloc or Clymer manuals at all please. I will accept any owners manuals, parts manuals, service manuals, service bulletins, advertising, operating manuals, special tool manuals, accessories manuals…..virtually anything related to the preservation of old outboards. I am also including instruction manuals for out of date equipment such as Merc-o-tronic testers (which I already have) and others. I need any instruction manuals for any other out of date testing equipment.

The stick you send me must be at least 16gb in size. I will soon exceed that size so a 32gb or more will be better.

punchbug
                  Participant
                    quote Phil B:

Just in case, was searching for KR-45 info today, and got a hit at this site:

http://www.joeoutboard.com/manuals.html

I appreciate the work you’re doing, but snail-mailing media seems so last millenium!

If everyone who sent me encouragement sent me one item via e-mail this database would be crowding 30GB just on that alone. You want to talk about last millenium I am physically scanning each page both sides one at a time to load everything I have. So far I have four 4inch binders of parts manuals done. I have approx 20 more to go and that is just the binders. I also have approx 200 other manuals to load. So tell me once again about snail mail taking too long…. Hey not complaining nor am I frustrated. I work full time and I am exhausted when I get home so I basically have no life!!!! My free time is spent doing this and it really is a passion for me. Please send me something via that new fangled interweb thingy. It is just a few mouse clicks and you can send most items in on e-mail. 25MB is the typical size allowed for an e-mail. You can send most items under 50 pages in one email. This database will help every member once posted or anyone, member or not who asks for some specific information. If you want it ALL and I do mean ALL just succumb to the antique mode of mail delivery and send me a usb stick (16gb min) I already have all the items available on the JOEOUTBOARD site from other members or my own collection.

outboardnut
                    Participant

US Member

good thing I sent you a 16 gb stick

punchbug
                      Participant

I am sending your drive back to you this week. It will be close to the 16gb when I send it back. Some of the files you sent me wont erase from your USB for some reason. But you will be getting at least 13gb of new stuff. When you receive it please be critical of how I have it and let me know what you think. The only thing thicker than my skull is my skin so I can take anything you can dish out and I wont be offended. You are the first to receive what I have so far and I am going to try and do this right to the best of my ability. I don’t mind shifting or laying out everything differently if need be. As I am not making any money on this and I don’t want to dump a ton of my money into it all I can do is what I can do from internet editing downloads. I hope this is satisfactory. Even if I cant spend the time to make the changes you would like to see right away rest assured I will make any changes that make sense. I am going to ask this same question of the first 10 people who send me a drive and I will make the changes after that if need be. Further to this request can you please let as many people know about this as possible if you are happy with it even in the initial stages. I want to get this as wide spread as possible and to be honest it is pretty slow so far. Only one USB sent to me (yours) and only 7 others have contributed anything. I know there is a ton more stuff out there…..well back to scanning working on Elto stuff right now. Found some waterman stuff on facebook so I added that as well. I am going to post this letter in the forum so people can ask you about the experience so far.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.