Home Forum Ask A Member Muncie/Neptune Master Twin Hard Starting

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    eltoquad
    Participant

US Member

Afriend of mine, now passed on, used to use a Master twin as his fishing motor in the 1950’s. Said it ran great but he always carried extra spark plugs with him as it often would not restart after stopping to fish. New plugs in it and it’d fire right up even though the plugs that were in it were nearly new.

wbeaton
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I managed to get it running again. It is definitely rich and does not react well to throttle. I’m going to clean the carb and reset the jets. Thanks for all the replies.

Wayne
        Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

wbeaton
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

SUCCESS! I cleaned the carb and reset the jets. It fired on the first pull. It took three pulls to get it up and running. Much less smoke this time. We are ready for a water test. Thanks again for the help and conversation. Sometimes a guy just needs to talk it out.

Wayne
          Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

lyks2tinkr
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Great you got it running. What were your carb settings?
            Mine has been a hard starting motor.

wbeaton
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
              quote Lyks2Tinkr:

Great you got it running. What were your carb settings?
              Mine has been a hard starting motor.

Low = 1
              High = 1.5ish

Full choke on the first pull and no choke on the second seems to work.

The carb had a little sediment in the bowl. Felt like grit from the pot metal deteriorating. I gave it a scrub and all is good. I’ve started it on the stand three times now and it pops to life on the first pull every time. Running on the second or third. We are giving it a water test at the meet on Saturday. Hopefully, I will get some video of it running.

I also got a new decal from Dixie. She was the only one who had it.

Attachments:

Wayne
              Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

lyks2tinkr
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks. Nice looking motor.
                I have a set of decals for mine too.
                I’ve had this motor for a few years and it’s mechanical issues have been repaired. I really want to run it I have been told they are decent runners. The one downside is they are "gravitationally enhanced" if you know what I mean.

wbeaton
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

It certainly is. I think the brochures say it’s 94 lbs plus fuel. It’s not fun to move around, but what a looker! I was in love the moment I saw it.

Wayne
                  Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

It reminds me of my old Model "H" Fastwin. Dad was running a Fastwin In his first few years with Evinrude. They can give you a very good boat ride . . . 😀

– – – – Mom & Dad in 1930 – – – –

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.