Home Forum Ask A Member my first RBM?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    punchbug
    Participant

I have an opportunity to buy an ELTO ruddertwin. Never owned a RBM before so I have a couple of questions. Are these a good motor, does it look complete, is the"tiller handle" proper for this motor and is $235 Canadian a good price? I know the tiller is not properly installed.

Attachments:

chris-p
      Participant

That is a good price in our area PUnch Bug. Not easy to find around here.

That is not an original tiller. They never had a tiller. You steer with the rope you see, which turns the rudder, hence ruddertwin. Looks like a home made tiller someone rigged up to use with the ruddertwin. At least I have never seen one like that before. Other will know for certain.

The Boat House
        Participant

The family of Super Elto’s are great motors and fun to run.
          Technically not an RBM though.
          Usually the coil wires are falling apart but yours seem to
          look as though someone has dealt with that issue already.
          Your motor looks to be a nice example in the pictures.
          Flywheels not rusty, (wrong nut though), tank looks very
          nice as does the rest of the motor. These are pretty common
          so it shouldn’t be to difficult to get any parts you need.
          Several individuals on the board are familiar
          with these so just ask if you have questions.
          Here are some links you might find useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2vxDqF_OEU
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLS6IglCy9k
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFelCQwciSk

punchbug
          Participant

Thanks to all for the reply but as usual I now have another question. Tubs you said technically i is not a RBM. I thought if it had a "knuckle buster" flywheel it is a RBM. Can you please enlighten me? I am buying it regardless, cuz it is so damn cool. Should have it here by the end of July

The Boat House
            Participant

While knuckle buster would apply "most"
              classify a "Row Boat Motor" as those
              with brass below the power head.
              Just a heads up if someone wants to
              debate the issue with you.
              Dam Cool? It will be hard to find
              someone that will argue with that.
              I’m a big fan of all the Super Elto’s.

punchbug
              Participant

Thanks Tubs. I am no position to argue with anyone right now as I am still a "lil wet behind the ears" when it comes to this hobby. I have found that unlike my card collecting hobby, people I have met are generally more concerned with restoring history and bragging about their motors than they value of an item. It is a real refreshing change, kinda restores my passion for collecting. I am sure there are the people who know more and have done more than anyone else in the history of mankind but I have not had the pleasure of meeting them within this hobby yet.

MonkeyButt
                Participant

Hello Punchbag,
                  The Elto is a great little motor that will run forever if properly cared for and that is a great price in Eastern Washington. Parts are plentiful and not overly expensive. Some people are even make reproduction parts for these motors. I have one an absolutely love it. Like Tubbs said, technically it is not an RBM but it is a motor and you do put it on a rowboat πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ I attached a manual for your new motor.Enjoy

β€œThe ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

Back in the dim past when "cranky" meant you had to use the crank a lot to keep an engine running, row boat motors were heavy, cumbersome contraptions that put out more noise than power. These were largely cast iron and brass singles. The lighter twin Eltos and Johnsons that came out in the early 1920s were revolutionary models that put an end to that, The Super Eltos started a real horse power race. Amazingly, Caille built a row boat motor with a auto rewind starter and a five speed transmission in 1914.

skeg
                    Participant

Hmmmmm. Ya learn something new every day. I thought that these were classified as a RBM. I guess I got that impression because they are featured in the American Rowboat motor by Alan Carter. Although, he acknowledges that he included it because it had rudder steering, battery ignition, and Knob start. This almost appears to be more of a transitional motor??

garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

You are correct. With the introduction off these lighter, smoother running outboards, sales of the Row Boat Motors plummeted. Those who didn’t adapt, perrished. . . πŸ˜‰

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.