Home Forum Ask A Member Need help identifying

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    alanp
    Participant

US Member

Number on the carb is M311B. No tag on transom not even holes for rivots or screws to hold a tag. Other than casting numbers the only number stamped is in photo.

Attachments:

kees
      Participant

International Member - 2 Years

you should probably read "MS 11 B", instead of "M3 11 B"
        if it is the correct carb….. the outboard is a model U Speeditwin from 1929 – 1930
        good luck

alanp
        Participant

US Member

Thank everybody for helping me out.

Alan

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

The last one I saw raced (Dual carburetor, open exhaust, slimmer lower unit) was in 1949. He came in fourth in a field of twelve. Not bad for a model considered obsolete for 18 years . . .

kees
            Participant

International Member - 2 Years
              quote alanp:

Number on the carb is M311B. No tag on transom not even holes for rivots or screws to hold a tag. Other than casting numbers the only number stamped is in photo.

FYI
              I found that number A44G also on my Speeditwin U 2978 and that is a 16 hp from 1928
              the search goes on
              make your choice , good luck

alanp
              Participant

US Member

Thank you Kees and everybody else that gave me information. Now I know what I have. I collect and tinker with smaller outboards, easier on the back, so I don’t know much about larger outboards. I got it in a bundle I bought.
                Were the Speeditwins used mostly for racing? Are they desirable motor or are they pretty common?

lyks2tinkr
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Early Speeditwins are desirable motors.
                  The Evinrudes of the late 20s IMHO were decent performing and pleasing to the eye.
                  Yours is missing a few pieces but could be found.

jimross
                  Participant

Going by the exhaust manifolds and center gas tank filler it is a 1930.If it is a true 156 there is a model/ser. number on the lower portion of the crankcase underneath the intake manifold. Jim Ross

alanp
                    Participant

US Member

There us a raised number that looks like a casting number on the front A10U. On the side is another raised number cast in 100013. Nothing stamped or tagged.

The Boat House
                      Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
                        • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by The Boat House.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.