Home Forum Ask A Member Need help with water pump Force

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    vintageoutboardman
    Participant

Well, let’s say I learned my lesson :mrgreen:
      It’s never a good idea to work on an outboard while it’s 37 degrees celsius, you can’t think straight with this temp 😳
      Now I got to line up that stupid gear. I just worked on it for about an hour with no success. I really don’t want to open up that gearcase.
      Thanks again for helping me out, I will let you know when I got everything working again.

Tom
      Participant

US Member

If there’s not too much oil in there, and you can see into it, try to use gravity and a tapered stick to get the gear in the right position.

T

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Prediction: Pretend it is an OMC 3hp weedless. Put it in forward gear and hold it so the drive shaft is horizontal and prop shaft sticking up.
          Wiggle shafts and gently side the drive shaft in the pinion as it aligns.

Hey, it’s worth a try and might even work.

vintageoutboardman
          Participant

After two hours of struggling with the pinion gear I finally got it back in place. And luckily, the pin that locks the impeller on the driveshaft won’t sink in pump housing anymore.
            Today I put everything back together and guess what, it still didn’t cool. I removed the lower unit again and tested it in a bucket of water with a drill attached to the driveshaft. It pumped water perfectly. I put a 3 foot hose on the pump outlet to make sure the impeller created enough power to push the water all the way into the engine. It pumped the water all the way up without a problem. Next I checked if there was any kind of blockage in the cooling system itself. I poked through the water tube going to the engine and nothing was blocking it. I then put a water hose directly on the copper tube and the water was flowing perfectly through the tube and cylinder head. Once again I put everything back together and of course it still didn’t cool 🙄 . I removed the lower unit about 10 times and tried numerous things with no success. After dinner, I figured that I tried and checked absolutely everything I could think of and maybe the engine did cool every time, but it just didn’t sputter any water for some reason. I decided I would just start it up and let it run (each time I ran it, I only ran it for a minute or so to prevent overheating). I kept an eye on the temperature by using my laser temp meter. I was stunned to find out my thoughts were right! After about 15 minutes of running, the power head was about 45 degrees Celsius on the inlet side, 55 on the head itself and 40 around the cooling passages, and 65 on the exhaust side. The highest temp I got was 67 (153 F). Seems perfectly fine. But once again, when I looked at the four little holes, no water sprayed out whatsoever. Even when I revved it up, still no water. I don’t understand any of this, but my theory was right.
            Unfortunately it has no tell tale, so now there is no way I can tell if the motor is cooling or not, other than using the laser temp meter.
            Do you guys have an idea how to solve this? Is it possible to make a tell tale myself by drilling a hole somewhere?
            Anyway, thanks for all the help 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.