Home Forum Ask A Member Need opinions-Bearing Buddy trailer cap keeps falling off

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    outboardnut
    Participant

US Member

The first Bearing Buddy fell off – so I figure –oh well-hit a bump-bad luck
      So I decided to put in new bearings (on both sides) and put on a new Bearing Buddy.
      Now that a second Bearing Buddy fell off I figure that the opening of the hub got slightly enlarged somehow.
      What I was planning to do is clean the opening of the hub with gasoline to get rid of the grease.
      Then put some loctite blue on the rim of the third Bearing Buddy.
      What do you think?

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’d check the cost of new wheel hubs. I would think you are right about them getting enlarged. It may be worth the cost of replacing the hubs with new ones and saving yourself the headaches of limping the old ones along with Loctite. If I were to try Loctite, I’d probably use Red. You’ll still be able to knock the Bearing Buddies out when it comes time to service the bearings. My .02.
        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

sandpoint1
        Participant

Fisherman6 is correct. I had the same problem and a new hub with bearings at Northern Tool, for about $35, makes the problem go away. The bearing buddies will fall off at the most inconvenient times. Good luck.

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

drill …tap and bolts each side on the edge a solution ???

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member

An idea just hit my aging mind. If the bearing buddy is 1-1/2 inch diameter or larger, The tail pipe expander tool at the link below may work to stretch the bearing buddy ‘s diameter. This tool is made to expand automotive tail pipes for a slip fit to the muffler or next pipe. I haven’t tried this, and maybe the bearing buddy is less than 1-1/2 inches, so it may not work. The tool is $ 14.99
              Dave

https://www.harborfreight.com/medium-tail-pipe-expander-69548.html

twostroke
              Participant

"Farmer Fix"……Just take a prick punch and carefully go around the inside and put some dimples "out". It’ll fit just fine. I’ve done it a million times with bearing buddies and conventional hub dust caps.

Jim

I say "pardon me" a lot. I had a 20H, then raced open mod sleds.

outboardnut
                Participant

US Member

I really don’t want to get a new hub I just put in new bearings 2 months ago
                  """"So I decided to put in new bearings (on both sides) and put on a new Bearing Buddy."""

jerry-ahrens
                  Participant

US Member

You need a new hub. Trying to use a punch to keep the Bearing Buddy on, will most likely result in leakage. If you leak lake water in, you will ruin the bearings any way..
                    You could keep your old hub/bearing assemblies for spares. Handy for long distance towing if you have a break down.

amuller
                    Participant

What Bearing Buddy itself has to say: https://www.bearingbuddy.com/faqs

The most common reason is the hub bore diameter is wrong, because the hub manufacturer did not maintain quality control during production. Other possible reasons are listed below. The spindle may be too long, which could cause the nut or cotter pin on the end of the spindle to push against the Bearing Buddy® piston (when grease level is low), eventually forcing it out of the hub. Excessive removal and reinstallation of a Bearing Buddy® can wear down the Bearing Buddy® shoulder (the part that fits into the hub), which decreases the interference fit between the Bearing Buddy® shoulder and the hub bore. An out-of-balance tire and/or incorrect bearing torque can cause excessive "wheel play" or wobbling, which can cause a Bearing Buddy® to work its way out of the hub. Installing the wrong size Bearing Buddy® for the hub bore diameter. Theft.

fifty20ne
                      Participant

US Member

I use JB Weld Epoxy to keep my Bearing Buddys on and water tight.
                        If you must remove one a block of wood and a hammer is all you need.

Good Luck,

Bob

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.