Home Forum Ask A Member Neptune 1.7hp Mighty Mite WC-1 Question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    drifter
    Participant

In working on this little Mighty Mite WC-1(1963 – 1969) 1.7hp, I pulled the carburetor and the carburetor plate (manifold).
      During reassembly I noticed that the carburetor plate has a tiny recess machined near the throat on the front (carb side). The machined area has a tiny hole drilled in it. Not noticing this machined area during disassembly I’m at a loss as to whether this cutout goes down or up.
      I think this cutout may act as a drain when the carburetor is "tickled" for cold starting.
      Can someone tell me the proper orientation for this little cutout in the plate?
      Thanks,
      Drifter

drifter
      Participant

Here is a photo of the plate in question.

Attachments:

frankr
        Participant

US Member

I think there is a small hole drilled in that notch, right? The hole and notch provide a vacuum source from the carburetor side of the reed plate to suck oil through the upper main bearing. If it were not for that, the bearing would not get enough oil, since it doesn’t run uphill by itself.

The plate goes as you show it, notch at the top.

drifter
          Participant

Thanks Frank.

drifter
            Participant

Took another look at the plate and gasket that mates with the case. There is a hole in the gasket to match the hole in the plate. But, there is no hole in the case. The mating surface is smooth. I even took a powerful glass to look at the surface and there is no hole. Thinking maybe there was a design change at some point?

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

Is there any sign of a hole below the carburetor opening ?
                . . . 😕

frankr
                Participant

US Member
                  quote Drifter:

Took another look at the plate and gasket that mates with the case. There is a hole in the gasket to match the hole in the plate. But, there is no hole in the case. The mating surface is smooth. I even took a powerful glass to look at the surface and there is no hole. Thinking maybe there was a design change at some point?

Well ok, I’m only telling you what is customary. I cannot speak with authority on your particular model. We have a Neptune Special Interest Group leader. He is listed in your Antique Outboarder magazine

drifter
                  Participant

Here are photos of the gasket (with hole) and the crank case (no hole). Also curious is the fact that order of assembly is: gasket mates to crank case then the reed plate then the carburetor body. No gasket between carb body and reed plate. That effectively places a spacer (reed plate) between the carb and the gasket. The hole in the carb surface won’t mate solidly (unless the carb attaching bolts crush the reed plate into the gasket) with the hole in the gasket surface. Assembly order is as pictured in the parts catalog. Curiouser and curiouser.

Attachments:

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

I sure don’t know, but it certainly looks like the original design had the crankcase oil hole to the bearing, but later was redesigned to eliminate the bearing hole. Perhaps they decided it wasn’t necessary (?)

bkrsdoz
                      Participant

US Member

Doug Penn should know. Maybe he will respond. He had purchased all the left over Neptune motors and parts when they went belly up.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.