Home Forum Ask A Member New Acquisitions!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    wbeaton
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

The Upper Canada Chapter had its last formal meet of the year yesterday. So many beautiful boats and motors were on display. The swap meet was fantastic. I came home with three new motors and a set of Tee Nee bubble fenders. The best part is that the Mercury and the Johnson both run!

1939 Johnson KA-39 9.8 hp
      1952 Firestone 7.5 hp
      1955 Mercury MK25 18 hp

Attachments:

Wayne
      Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

david-bartlett
      Participant

Great score!

Steve A W
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You can buy motors that run?
          Please don’t tell my wife. 😆

Member of the MOB chapter.
          I live in Northwest Indiana

destroyer85golf
          Participant
            quote Steve A W:

You can buy motors that run?
            Please don’t tell my wife. 😆

Hahaha don’t tell mine either, she is to the point now where anytime I leave the house on a Saturday she thinks I’m going to buy motors!

I love the mark 25, I can’t wait to find one, I think those motors look sharp in green and gold. Nice finds!

Eric McNett
            Participant

someday i hope to find a johnson or evinrude like the first photo, love the shine from the aluminium. But finding a running one or one i can somewhat easily make running will be the trick!

Eric McNett
              Seattle AOMCI Member

The Boat House
              Participant

wbeaton
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
                  quote EricM:

someday i hope to find a johnson or evinrude like the first photo, love the shine from the aluminium. But finding a running one or one i can somewhat easily make running will be the trick!

The beauty of Johnson/Evinrudes is that most can be made to run with little effort. In the past, I would never buy running motors because, to me, the fun was in the restoration. These days I’d rather buy a good specimen that needs little work to speed up the time from purchase to use. One thing to consider is that a really good specimen is usually cheaper to restore in the long run than a junker. I bought all of the above motors from friends I have met through the club. None were very expensive. I’m not sure I could have restored the 1939 Johnson KA-39 for the price I paid for it. The 1955 Mercury MK25 was completely rebuilt from top to bottom. I think I even helped the previous owner rebuild the powerhead at one of our weekly unofficial meets. The friends you make and the knowledge you can gain by being a member of the club is far more valuable than the motors that bring us together.

Wayne
                  Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

chuckw
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

i love the Mark 25. I have five!, six if you include the one on a Q tower. See the pic on the calendar page on my runabout.

Mumbles
                    Participant

Tha tank seems fairly straight on the KA-39 and the decal is in great shape. Don’t forget, 8:1 fuel mix in this motor!

Attachments:

wbeaton
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
                        quote Mumbles:

Tha tank seems fairly straight on the KA-39 and the decal is in great shape. Don’t forget, 8:1 fuel mix in this motor!

The tank is in very good shape. Only one small dent under the decal. I had it running on the stand last night. Hopefully I will be making lots of blue smoke with it on the weekend.

Wayne
                        Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.