Home Forum Ask A Member New additions to the family, (I can stop anytime I want to, I just don’t want to!)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Alan
    Participant

Hello to all;

About what year are these?

I picked up these two today, after a modest drive and $100.
      I posted pics earlier, and seem to remember being informed that the "Sea Flyer" is a Champion, and the one with the rattle can blue is a Scott-Atwater.

Time will tell if they’re runners or wall hangers, but I’m fine w/ that. The blue one has no serial number plate that I can see on the transom mount; haven’t taken the cowlings off yet, which should be interesting.

I’ll appreciate any info or opinions anyone wants to share. I’ve done a ’57 Scott-Atwater 16hp, B-A-M, and it ran great. Otherwise I’m pretty much an OMC guy. But, I enjoy all older machines and look forward to getting into these. I hit ’em w/ the garden hose, and wiped ’em down with Tri-flow,but that’s it so far. Get to dump really old fuel out, next, and see how much rust is in the steel gas tank.

Both turn feely, but look to have been left outside for a few years. We’ll see what the compression test says, and go from there.

Happy motoring!
      Alan
      Central CA

Attachments:

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

Alan, nice catch! I have the "Voyager" version of the Champion 4.2 hp.
        I believe they were sold thru hardware stores in the mid-west.
        Your Sea Flyer was sold by the BF Goodrich tire stores.
        There’s also a "Majestic" version, but I can’t remember who sold them.

Prepare to be boarded!

jcrigan
        Participant

Your model # is G3LGS. That is either a 5 or a 5.5hp motor with full gear shift. The rubber impeller is located on the driveshaft above the gears. I have a 1953 Voyager V3LGS motor and it runs very well. I took a honda impeller and made it work on this. Do you have the recoil?

jcrigan
          Participant

A good thing to have with this motor is a manual. There is a possibility that if you were to work on the gearbox or replace the pump, something could get broken down there. I’ll see what I have for manuals.

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

I believe the blue motor is a Firestone built by Scott Atwater. Sea Flyers were built By Champion in 1953 & ’54. . . 😉

melugin
              Participant

US Member

The Champion built motor has a restrictor( half circle) in the manifold behind the carb. This can be opened up to allow for the motor to develop 7 1/2hp like the Champion model. Quite a fast 5 1/2 then.

Alan
                Participant

Info appreciated!
                  I’m glad to know where the impeller is, and to know I can adapt a modern one to work.
                  No recoil starter, unfortunately.
                  I’d be happy as a clam at high tide for any technical info like a manual, or even an exploded drawing.
                  So, one was sold by Firestone, and the other by B.F. Goodrich; interesting and amusing.

Anyone have a guess as to when the Firestone / S-A was made? About the same era, (early / mid 50’s)?

If the BFG Champion wants to run, I’ll think very seriously about pulling the restrictor plate, and gaining "free" HP. Love that.

I haven’t dug very deeply, but below is what I’ve found on the Champion, so far.
                  Many thanks!
                  Alan

Attachments:

outbdnut2
                  Participant

US Member

Champion also marketed their motors in the 1950s under the name "Majestic".
                    Dave

garry-in-michigan
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

Go 2 the "Inner Sanctum" and check out my Dropbox account. . .

mike-stroz
                      Participant

I’ve got a full set of cowls, tank, recoil starter, etc. off a motor I parted out if you need anything, plus more.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.