Home Forum Ask A Member New guy here, identify these?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bcww
    Participant

I am new to the group and have been a wood boat restorer for years. Recently I have decided to build a small vintage hydro or runabout racing boat so as I was searching for motors I came across a buy that I could not pass up. It consisted of a nice vintage c class runabout, old custom trailer fitted with a storage compartment that had a pull-out rack with 3 vintage outboards (alcohol) and tons of parts such as lower units, props etc. Here are the 3 motors would someone assist in a possible identificatiopn and year?
      Thanks and look forward to the membership!

Attachments:

eltoquad
      Participant

US Member

Don’t know alot about racers but the yellow ones appear to be Evinrude or Elto Speeditwin Racers from the 1930s and the red one a Johnson racer, probably a PR model again from the late 1930s.These are 30 cu. in. racing motors. They probably are made to run on racing fuel, not regular gasoline. That is quite a find!!

RICHARD A. WHITE
        Participant

Lifetime Member

yup both Alky motors…note the fuel line… epic find

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
          classicomctools@gmail.com

dan-in-tn
          Participant

US Member

These wouldn’t happen to be part of the rig purchased from Rodney Sullivan in Texarkansas, TX would it? A DeSilva boat & trailer with the engines in the rear compartment. I ran an ad in "Leads for Motors" last year after going to see the rig & buying some motors & parts from Rodney. Trying to help him sell it then. He just told me he had completed the sale of the rig. He had some nice stuff. Congradulations!

Dan in TN

bcww
            Participant

yes it is. up in Western NY now. Lots of stuff came here, i also dug up the past on this pile quite impressive.

bcww
              Participant

here is the boat. there was an old license plate from the 50’s stuck below the carpet as well

Attachments:

dan-in-tn
                Participant

US Member

That is a beautiful boat & I understand DeSilva is a nice builder. I would have loved the have it myself, but not a racer! At 6’3" & 347 lbs at the time I don’t think I would fit in the boat? I have lost a bunch now, but still wouldn’t fit. I just talked to Rodney & he confirmed it was his stuff.
                  There seemed to be a nest of racers in the Texarkansas area back then. Lots of stuff still left in that area. Some of the parts I bought from Rodney had been modified for racing & racing background. Neat stuff!
                  Welcome to the club. You are off to a GREAT start!

Dan in TN

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.