Home Forum Ask A Member New here to the forum

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    carl
    Participant

Hello all,
      I’m a new member here on this forum and quite enthusiastic about the restoration of my 1957 Evinrude 35 HP Big Twin Electric Start. I’ve been looking for a 1957 for some time now and I chanced upon it on Craigslist in the Pittsburgh area. I found it on the back of a 1968 fiberglass boat. I purchased the boat, motor and trailer for $300 so I feel I’m off to a good start. I will be fully restoring the motor for my 1957 StarCraft Ski-Champ boat that is also in restoration, the motor is period correct and a perfect match for the Ski-Champ. Once I get into the motor I’m sure I will have questions for you. I’m very thorough in my restoration work so I will be tearing the motor down completely. I did start the motor and it does run so I’m off to a good start there as well. Looking forward to talking with you and thank you in advance. Carl

Attachments:

auldscott
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Welcome, Carl. I’m sure there will be many opportunities for information to travel both ways.

I’ve always liked Starcrafts. How about a few photos of before, during, and after?

auldscott

lyks2tinkr
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Welcome to the site.
          Looks like a nice motor. You’ll have fun running it. The 57 Evinrudes were IMHO one of the best looking outboards of the classics.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hi Carl-
            Nice to have you with us, and the 57 Bigtwin is a great choice for so many reasons. These engines oftentimes don’t get that many hours on them, so the complete restoration you are planning may not be necessary. A good ignition/fuel system/water pump servicing might be all that is needed to make this engine the reliable daily runner is was designed to be. It looks like someone has replaced the gearcase, maybe the original had water inside or was jumping out of gear.
            One of the biggest challenges might be the boat harness and wiring for the electric starting, I’m hoping that was included with the engine and in good shape.
            Can’t wait to hear/see more about this great engine when you get started….

lindy46
            Participant

US Member

Nice old motor. I have to agree with fleetwin – it may just need the basic tune-up to be a great running motor. If it has compression, I wouldn’t tear it down. I had a ’57 Lark (basically the same motor) which just needed electricals, carb kit and impeller and it ran great. I used that motor for about five years with no major problems, and towed lots of stranded boaters (with much newer motors) back to shore.

Welcome to the forum!

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Carl.. if you are going to do some servicing and enjoy these oldies you should visit boat info.. it has lots of info on what you need to know

assuming here that boat.info is new to you

nice motor btw great find

http://162.144.28.33/lib/johnson/manual … on.html#/0

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

outbdnut2
                Participant

US Member

I have eight Evinrude/Johnson 35s from 1957-1959, and some look like they have been used and abused a lot. Only one required a teardown and I turned that into a parts motor. If owners stuck to the 25 to 1 gas/oil mix, and the motor did not spend an extended time underwater, or in salt, I’d bet the powerhead internals are fine. As has been suggested – check compression – I’d also replace/rebuild all the external stuff,except maybe the starter, and see how it runs before tearing it down. These motors are also extremely forgiving after coming to a halt overheated when the water pump impeller gives out.
                  Dave

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.