Home Forum Ask A Member New Snap Ring Plier Set at Harbor Freight

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    jw-in-dixie
    Participant

I have a cheapie HF set with changeable tips that do the job. Not pretty, but not having to search over the entire shop and bench (could it have gone out the window?) for a s**t clip is worth every penny! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

outbdnut2
      Participant

US Member

I agree that Harbor Freight set looks a lot better than their previous offering (which I have). I noticed that in their stores for the last few years, they have a sign that says all hand tools are lifetime guaranteed (just like Sears Craftsman does). I would ask if these pliers fall into that lifetime category – then if one breaks, you get another free! I like that with those Harbor Freight ones, you don’t have to put different sizes into one set of handles. For the amount I use them, you have me thinkin’ about buyin’ a set.
        Dave

nj-boatbuilder57
        Participant
          quote outbdnut2:

… – then if one breaks, you get another free!

Or, they say "gee, I guess it’s ‘life’ is over…sorry" ๐Ÿ™‚

outbdnut2
          Participant

US Member

Not sure how Harbor Freight handles these, but I’ve returned several old beat up, abused, screwdrivers and broken rachet handles to Sears over the years and they give you another one – no questions asked – no receipt needed – they don’t even ask your name. I once bought six beat up Craftsman screwdrivers for a buck at a garage sale – took them to Sears and got new ones!
            Dave

bill-loveland
            Participant
              quote FrankR:

I’ve broken my share of Waldes Truarc Pliers (the "real thing"). So if these break, they are just as good. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Broke two pair of snap ring pliers last spring trying to put a hydraulic cylinder together for my tractor – one was Craftsman, one was a no-name

Ended up grinding down the tips on a pair of Craftsman needlenose pliers to do the job.

49hiawatha
              Participant

Learned lesson @ HF. They have "free specials." Note no returns on these specials. You MUST have a receipt for a purchase to take advantage of the "free replacement." Otherwise find a newbie clerk?

jpatti75
                Participant

US Member

Like most above, I only use snap rings pliers a few times a year. Most I have had were terrible until I bought this one:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CHANNELLOCK-Snap-Ring-Pliers/50424410?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-PliersAndWrenches-_-50424410:CHANNELLOCK&CAWELAID=&kpid=50424410&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=1602&k_clickID=616429e3-bfd6-436b-8e55-6c37105987d0&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI56-b5MXp1wIVz4l-Ch2WHAufEAQYAiABEgLSPfD_BwE

I like it because it works on internal and external rings with the flip of the switch, and you can interchange tips for various sizes and angles. And if you break a tip, you just need to replace that tip and not the whole tool. Iโ€™ve used it on the tiniest of snap rings up to the larger ones used to secure the Mercury Dyna-Floats on the larger two-cylinder Mark and Merc series Motors with no complaints. Canโ€™t speak to the Harbor Freight set, but this tool has treated me well, and it is only one plier in my tool chest, not a whole set taking up space.

JP

camaroman
                  Participant

those dont look too bad, I have been thinking about getting a heavier duty set than the piddly things im running around with.

If you want to try, heat up the tips with a torch and dunk into oil a few times.. that might harden the steel somewhat ๐Ÿ™‚ for the regular open ones filing a tiny groove or flat spot can dramatically help them not slipping!

Might be rebuilding a velvet drive soon so will def be looking into these. Otherwise swap meets are a gr8 place to find made in USA tools at a fraction of the cost.

I buy old school large and long craftsmen screwdrivers for bellows jobs for $1 in mint condition and theyve been holding up incredibly!

Anyway – I think those are worth a try! Heck, if the tips snap you can always stick weld a hi carbon rod back on and grind that sucker down ๐Ÿ™‚

outbdnut2
                    Participant

US Member

It will be interesting to see what happens to the quality of Craftsman tools now that Sears sold Craftsman to Stanley Tools. In a recent issue of Popular Mechanics, the editor wrote an interesting full page ‘open Letter to the new owner of Craftsman Tools" outlining a number of concerns about quality and what and how the tools are marketed if they want to continue to have the Craftsman name be respected and successful.
                      Dave

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.