Home Forum Ask A Member New to the forum…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    rook49
    Participant

First time poster here. I wish I had known you guys were here a few months ago. I just finished redoing my old 1957 model Evinrude 5.5 hp Fisherman and my old 1966 model Johnson 3 hp Sea Horse. I’m sure I could have leaned a few things here the easy way instead of by trial and error. It took a while but the results turned out pretty good for an old geezer such as myself. I look forward to seeing what I can learn here and maybe passing on a few things that I’ve managed to learn.

I converted my 5.5 hp Evinrude to use a single line gas line instead of the old double line with the pressure tank by installing a fuel pump. On both of them I replaced the coils, points, condensers, plug wires and plugs. I cleaned and rebuilt the carburetors and installed a new carb kit with a new float in both of them plus installing a new water pump impeller and seals.

Here’s a few photos in case anyone is interested.

Evinrude 5.5 hp

Installed a fuel pump on the Evinrude. Had to remove the intake manifold and remove the check valve and plug one of the check valve holes in order to deliver a vacuum pulse to operate the fuel pump.

Installed new coils and points etc.

Cleaned the carburetor.

I was pleasantly surprised when it fired up on the 3rd crank.

Did just about the same thing on the Johnson 3 hp except for the fuel pump.

bobw
      Participant

US Member

Welcome to the forum. Good looking motors, both appear to be in great condition. Hope you join and become a member of AOMCI – lots of good information shared here and new members are the lifeblood.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

The Boat House
        Participant

Obviously not your first attempt to take something old
          and make it like new again. Impressive to say the least.
          This forum is part of a club, We have meets where we
          run these things and buy, sell, and or swap motors and
          parts. Here is a link to our home page. You can see what
          we are about. Check out the upcoming events and if one
          is near you drop by and see it this is something you may
          want to be part of.

http://aomci.org/

joecb
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Looks like very nice work, congratulations!. You didn’t tell us what part of the country you are in. Bring that rig out to one of the local meets and share the fun. Check out the "up coming events" page at the web site to find a meet near you.

Joe B

reivertom
            Participant

US Member

You started with two of the best. It looks like you did fine. There is a lot of knowledge on here and I recommend joining the A.O.M.C.I. The "inner sanctum" has some great stuff and the quarterly magazine has good stuff, too.

rook49
              Participant

Thanks for the warm welcome. I appreciate it.

I’m originally from Knoxville, TN and I’m now retired and living in Hampton, GA. For the past 4 years since I’ve retired I’ve been fixing everything around the house that’s got a motor on it plus my collection of old Mitchell fishing reels as a hobby due to boredom and now I’m buying things to fix.

I grew up at my grandfather’s Three Rivers Boat Dock & Restaurant at the forks of the Holston, French Broad and Tennessee Rivers in Knoxville. I watched my uncle repair a lot of outboard motors when I was a kid hanging out at the dock. My grandpa and uncle also had a lot of boat races at Three Rivers back in the 50s and early 60s. That’s where the best years of my life were spent. Those were the good old days!

Here are a few photos from back then.

Joe McCauley

outboardnut
                Participant

US Member

Great pictures!

The Boat House
                  Participant

Is Joe your uncle?

amuller
                    Participant

Nice work. NIce pics. Thanks for sharing.

labrador-guy
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Welcome! Great pictures! Thanks for posting.

dale

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.