Home Forum Ask A Member Newbie With A 57 Golden Javelin

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    outbdnut2
    Participant

US Member

Great deal – I paid about ten times more for my Golden Javelin. Your model number says it’s a long shaft motor because it has the "L" in it. That means your boat should have a 20 inch (approximate) transom. Short transoms are around 15 inches. Check what your boat has. If you have a short transom, your motor can be converted to short shaft with the right parts. If you run a long shaft motor on an short transom boat, your performance will suffer because it’s like dragging a big club through the water. Dealers sometimes converted motors form short to long and long to short when inventory of one was out, so check what you really have. If in doubt – post a photo of the lower half of the motor and we will tell you.
      Dave

mas
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Forth picture in initial post shows a "short shaft" Javelin.

Great deal…running or not!

Mas

outbdnut2
        Participant

US Member
          quote Mas:

Forth picture in initial post shows a “short shaft” Javelin.

Mas

Ah – I totally missed seeing the Javelin lower to the right of the Evinrude in the 4th photo – definitely a short shaft!
          Dave

markpj23
          Participant
            quote outbdnut2:

quote Mas:

Mas

Ah – I totally missed seeing the Javelin lower to the right of the Evinrude in the 4th photo – definitely a short shaft!
            Dave

Interesting… means that someone changed it during its history. Model number has the ‘L’ in it. Good catch guys.

fisherman6
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years
              quote markpj23:

quote outbdnut2:

quote Mas:

Mas

Dave

Interesting… means that someone changed it during its history. Model number has the ‘L’ in it. Good catch guys.

It is not very unusual for this change to be made during a motor’s history. I have found that most of the long shaft motors I have had were converted short shaft motors. That includes a ’58 Super Seahorse that began life as a short shaft and now is a long shaft. These things seem to get swapped back and forth as different needs arose throughout the life of the motor.
              -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

lindy46
              Participant

US Member

Great deal! You don’t need the pressure relief system if you’re using the electric starter. They’re just a bear to pull start without it.

duralark
                Participant

Man, what a deal! This is my first post here; I’ve enjoyed and learned from reading here. A lot! 2 thoughts on your Javelin: 1) I have a ’57 BigTwin 35 Evinrude that has become a parts motor for my ’56 Lark 30hp. It appears to me that the compression relief system is only intended to make it easier to pull start the motor. I wouldn’t worry about it if I were you, but if you want all that linkage and stuff, it’s available. 2) If the seller hasn’t thrown it away yet, drive over there like a bullet and get all the controls, wiring, junction box, dash panel switches/bezels etc that you can find that go with your motor. Often, that stuff gets thrown out and it can be a pain to find later.
                  Congrats on your awesome deal! And frankly, it looks to me like the bug has already bit you!
                  ~ Bob

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.