Home Forum Ask A Member No Spark

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    jeff-register
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I lost a coil with where the sec output terminates. The barb sticking out was arced down to nothing, Phelon, & wire was not done correctly…but both?
      If you have a very low ohm meter it will show .5 ohm difference, to find the primary winding & ground.Have you looked on the web for data?
      Wasn’t early Chrysler made by Merc? Don’t know dates yet. Mags get sloppy with age, Add a ground wire from the bottom of the mag to the block,
      Had a 200 that fried the other set of points & turned them gold. Added the ground & it ran fine & I had cleaned where it rotates & very light grease was enough to not have a stable ground. 🙁

retiredoz
      Participant

US Member

Seems to me the OMC coils have a separate wire to ground the secondary ? The (admittedly marginal) sketch in my service manual does show two wires coming off the secondary, but I only see one in the pictures. The ‘no continuity’ has some implications ?

mightymite
        Participant

US Member

The brown wires are definitely the kill switch.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

So, you say there is no continuity between plug wire and ground? There should be a few k-Ohms. If it really is zero as you say, the plug wire is bad, not making contact in the coil, or the coil is N/G

Also, double check the points. Should be zero Ohms when closed. Not an Ohm or two, but Zero. When open you should see around an Ohm (the resistance of the coil primary).

mightymite
            Participant

US Member

OK , I pulled the wires from one coil off the points and mag plate so the coil was isolated. It tested good on both primary and secondary. So as we thought the coils are good.

retiredoz
              Participant

US Member

Is it possible the mag plate’s not grounded ?

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Have you removed a coil from the plate, and checked the resistance from the secondary wire pin and the coil’s ground lead?

mightymite
                  Participant

US Member

I isolated one coil and the readings were all good–including the plug wire. I also added an external ground to see if that was the problem. No help.

Tom
                    Participant

US Member

Have you checked the condensers? I’ve never had much luck with those Wico condensers with the tab.

Close the gap way down and see if you’re getting even a weak spark.

Tom

jeff-register
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Watch your points & the moment they close on One of the pistons will be close to the top, use an anolog meter please.
                        Tom
                        Still running the same caps in my 54 Firestone 7.5. Hook up 3 volt battery & use the terminals available, just make & break the points with a tooth pick to check stuff out.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.