Home Forum Ask A Member Noise at Idle

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    drifter
    Participant

At this point, it’s me against the Buccaneer! Appreciate the fine advice. I hate to remove two powerheads and swap two lower units. One tiny other piece of information, if I rev the engine in the test tank (fairly high rev for a few moments) it seems the ticking goes away at idle for a few seconds. (may be my imagination or hearing) I’m going in!
      One question though, I have always used Permatex Anaerobic Flange Sealer when assembling the crankcase halves. I have run out of this stuff and I am wondering if VersaChem Prime Seal Type 3 Aviation sealer will be satisfactory for this application.
      Thanks again for the interest and help.

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

🙁 tubs… that is exactly how my first 20hp Merc died in the late 70’s ….nice hole punched on the side

not knowing any better in those days I gave it away as junk instead of fixing it

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Mumbles
        Participant
          quote Drifter:

if I rev the engine in the test tank (fairly high rev for a few moments) it seems the ticking goes away at idle for a few seconds.

What shape are the drive and crankshaft splines in? Worn splines on either might cause the ticking noise.

drifter
          Participant

When I resealed the lower unit I also checked the splines when I greased them. They looked good. I will check them again when I pull the power head.

The Boat House
            Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
              • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by The Boat House.
              outbdnut2
              Participant

US Member
                quote crosbyman:

🙁 tubs… that is exactly how my first 20hp Merc died in the late 70’s ….nice hole punched on the side

I have a 1976 20 HP Merc that had a ticking/rattling noise at an idle and it got worse with speed. The lower crankshaft bearing was coming apart and a couple of the balls from the bearing found their way into the lower cylinder through the intake port. These were being slammed back and forth and did a number on the top of the piston, which I replaced along with the bearing. Enough metal was knocked off the raised portion on top of the piston to unbalance the motor, but cylinder walls were amazingly good. I haven’t run that motor for many years because it seemed every time I ran it, something else broke. I bought it from a friend, so know the history – it has mega-hours of fishing on it.
                Dave

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.